What's new

Concrete Heaving

DiamondWash

Reaction score
As winter winds down here in Iowa I have noticed at many washes including mine that the concrete is heaving bad, even before winter started I had the expansion joints cleaned out then resealed with hot pour asphalt to help prevent this, but is there a way to not have to go through the expense of tearing up the bad and replacing it? I have heard of "mudjacking" for this type of issue is anybody else having an issue with concrete heaving?

jprb

Reaction score
The first year one of our washes was open, the driveway (outside the bay floors and aprons) raised up about 3 to 4 inches after a two week subfreezing period. Luckily for us, it went back down when the temps came back up.

The mudjacking I have seen raises concrete that has settled. I don't know if it could be used to correct a slab that has come up, rather than sank down.

JPRB

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am having the same thing happen at my wash except it is asphalt. Hopefully it will settle back down once the frost is out of the ground.

Reds

Reaction score
We had a long wet period before it got cold. All of my blacktop is heaving more than usual where it meets the concrete. Concrete is not heaving. The most it has heaved is 1?" to 2". Even around sidewalks where no wash water runoff gets to it.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Should I install signs to watch out for heaving concrete for my self serve customers?reason being is that some a@#hole can/will use the heaved concrete to trip and try to sue me for personal damages and with some unhonest people looking for money they would use this.

Etowah