What's new

Compressor very noisey!

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
My compressor is making very loud clanking noise when it is running.
Any suggestions as to what it could be? It works fine just very loud lately.

Reds

Reaction score
also check the belt guard. My compressor has a bracket at the top/center of it that bolts to the compressor head. That bracket broke once and it made a lot of noise as it vibrated and hit the flywheel.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Since you were having trouble with it also tripping the breaker, my guess would be that it was siezing up and now the rod is loose on the crankshaft and soon it will blow up.

mac

Reaction score
I fixed one with a noise problem by changing the oil to a synthetic. Still not sure why that did it, omly glad it did.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Then I would second the "loose pulley" theory. If the pulley is not loose and you can hear the clanking by turning the pulley by hand, then my connecting rod suggestion would be pretty likely.
I had my twin cylinder Quincy air compressor rebuilt by a local machine shop because of the noise & oil seepage about 8 years ago. The noise issue was the connecting rod like the honorable Mr. I.B. Washincars stated as a possibility.

MEP001

Reaction score
Depending on the type of pump it has, you can possibly get a replacement from Tractor Supply Co. for a lot less than it would cost to have it repaired.