What's new

compressor pump rebuild

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I sent my Curtis pump to get an estimate on rebuilding it and it came back over $500. The replacement that they sold me was about the same price. Of course they told me that it was the same pump and it obviously was not. The big "made in China" was a big clue and the holes did not line up. He says the rebuilt one would be just like a brand new pump. What would you guys do?

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd probably buy a second compressor and plumb the two together. Actually I already did that when the Ingersoll-Rand motor started failing. The auto and all the low-pressure functions fail if there's no air.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Yeah I hear you but I don't really have room for another compressor.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Jimmy,
I would not buy a "rebuilt" compressor pump. If you can replace what you have with "new" even if you have to redrill mounting holes.

The air compressor is more important than having a bay pump down because all your air operated equipment is down which your customers won't accept. (Of course you know that!)

We have backup portables to keep things going in case of a problem like this.

We used to use these portables early on and when we changed to flo-jet pumps for the foam brush they worked too hard so we bought 6 upright (Grainger 2 HP) air compressors about 6 years ago and installed them. Since that time we have lost 1 motor and 1 compressor. I purchased a compressor and the mounting holes were different (this is unusual for Graingers) so we redrilled new mounting holes making sure the pulleys aligned. When the motor went out I bought 2 backups for them and they are still in inventory.