What's new

compressor problem

washman9

Reaction score
have 9 year old wash,, 2 iba, 4 self service. currently have 2 mid - low grade quality air compressors, 3hp, 60gal., both are starting to give me probs, i.e. bearing knocking, warped head, have already replaced both motors, etc. i am considering purchasing one, 80-100 gal, 5hp. 3 phase industrial quality compressor, i also really need the equip. room space. i will plumb it so that i could via quick connect bypass entire system and bring in my 30 gallon on wheels compressor in case of failure. please give me opinions as to pro / cons of this approach. thanks

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the same thing, but leaving my small 30 gallon hooked up to come on in case my main compressor loses pressure. I think that would be the best fail safe.

MEP001

Reaction score
I couldn't risk the problems again that we were having when the single I/R compressor started tripping the breaker:

mac

Reaction score
Ingersoll used to be a good brand, but i suspect they are made by someone with no knowledge of good manufacturing proceedures. Take a look on ebay. I saw some real good, high quality, industrial machines for good prices. To buy one from a dealer expect to pay 1500 to 1800 for a good one.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with manufacturing, it has to do with cheap Chinese junk. Brand name means less and less as everyone goes Chinese (even their cardboard is low quality). Look at the picture Mep1 posted, both compressors are Chinese throw a ways. I would always go for the 3 phase if possible. Our supplier sells Curtis and he installs the motors and compressors himself, I choose the level of quality. Mac is right on the price of a decent compressor (1200-1700).

MEP001

Reaction score
The Campbell Hausfeld says Made in USA on it, but I don't doubt that some of the components (The motor for sure) are made in China. The original motors on the I/R are junk and cost much more than the Baldor I replaced it with.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
When I stated they were thow a ways, I was refering mostly to the pump itself. I have seen old US made compressor run untill the feet rusted off and the only thing holding them upright was the plumbing to the tank!