What's new

compressor oil

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
After having to replace my pump this year I have learned to take better care of it. I need to change the oil now. I used "compressor oil" from Lowe's the first time. It seems to me that the pump operates on the same principle as my car. Wouldn't a good motor oil be as good or better than compressor oil?
Thanks,
J

MEP001

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffett said:
Wouldn't a good motor oil be as good or better than compressor oil?
No, compressor oils don't need the detergents, in fact they can ruin the compressor seals which weren't made to withstand them, and compressor oils have additives to prevent the oil from foaming, which motor oil doesn't have. Order AmsOil compressor oil if you want something good, or let the pump break in on plain compressor oil for at least six months and then use the synthetic stuff Lowe's carries.

Did you run the pump for at least 30 minutes with no load to break it in? If you don't it will constantly use oil, which will get into your air system.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
No that's the first time I have been advised to let it run with no load.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably not too late - just remove the fittings from the biggest port and let it run to break it in properly. It should have been in the documentation with both the original compressor and the replacement pump.

Etowah

JustClean

Reaction score
I just changed the compressor oil. It was milky. Called the factory and they told me cause the unit is not running on full load the amount of water would slowly increase. Any thoughts on this???

Reds

Reaction score
I believe compressor is short cycling and causing condensation because it is not heating up. I have the same issue. Compressor is way too big. I change my oil whenever I see a slight change in color in the oil level sight glass.

dcarwash

Reaction score
I have been running Cat pump oil in my compressors for years. Works great and has the right additives & weight. Car wash pumps and air compressors have about the same requirements.