What's new

Compressor CFM per bay

1carwash1

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb when sizing compressor CFM on self-service bays? Looking to size a compressor for an eight-bay self serv (no automatics).

MEP001

Reaction score
It's much more of an issue to get a good continuous-duty rated compressor. An 8-bay SS will run off a $200 Harbor Freight unit. IMO the bigger the tank, the better, Some of the better compressors use an undersize pulley on the motor or a 1750 RPM motor instead of a 3500 RPM.

Randy

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb when sizing compressor CFM on self-service bays? Looking to size a compressor for an eight-bay self serv (no automatics).
How big of a air compressor are you using now? I use a 30 gallon Sanborn that I reworked to make it run slower, the slower they run the longer they will last. It's been in service since 1994.

1carwash1

Reaction score
How big of a air compressor are you using now? I use a 30 gallon Sanborn that I reworked to make it run slower, the slower they run the longer they will last. It's been in service since 1994.
I have an old 60 gal 5hp IR that is nearing the end of its life. Was thinking about a small 30 gal Saylor Beall. I’m just unsure about the CFM requirement and concerned that it may cycle too often. I was also considering a Saylor Beall VT 735 60 gal three phase, but that is probably more compressor than I need.