What's new

Compressor Air Dryer for Door Air

Buzzie8

Reaction score
i am working on getting my Ultimate air doors in order for this winter. I have been reading some old threads about installing an air dryer for the operators to perform better but not sure I want to go the high expense involved. Are there any lower price options for getting moisture out of the lines. I just got my new regulators from KR and they do not have the piggyback filter bowls. I was thinking I could put a larger filter to capture some fo the moisture in the equipment room instead. If using a dryer eliminates door problems then I will need to reconsider the expense. If you recommend a dryer a mfg and model recommendation would be great!. It will be used for four doors.

Reds

Reaction score
I installed an Ingersoll Rand D41NC in 2010. It is plumbed into the air supply line just outside of the compressor a couple feet. That particular model is a cycling refrigerated dryer. Supposedly the cycling type, as opposed to non cycling, do not run the refrigeration system constantly. Prior to installation I had to empty the water separator bowls by my utlimate door control boxes every day. Since installation I have not had to empty them. BUT... I have drains in the bottom of each of my door cylinders and I still get some water out of them each week during the winter - not much. So maybe enough moisture is getting thru to the cylinders, but not enough to condense into the bowls. However you look at it, it has been a big help in keeping my doors operating properly during the winter. I installed a push-pull tee in the tubing connections at the bottom of each cylinder and I have a plug installed in the lowest leg of the tee.
Prior to this I had a non refrigerated dryer that had twin chambers. It ran the air thru one tower while blowing down the other tower. It ran non stop and kept my compressor running all the time. I was trying to avoid running a refrigeration system all the time, but I am glad that I went to the IR.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I installed an Ingersoll Rand D41NC in 2010. It is plumbed into the air supply line just outside of the compressor a couple feet. That particular model is a cycling refrigerated dryer. Supposedly the cycling type, as opposed to non cycling, do not run the refrigeration system constantly. Prior to installation I had to empty the water separator bowls by my utlimate door control boxes every day. Since installation I have not had to empty them. BUT... I have drains in the bottom of each of my door cylinders and I still get some water out of them each week during the winter - not much. So maybe enough moisture is getting thru to the cylinders, but not enough to condense into the bowls. However you look at it, it has been a big help in keeping my doors operating properly during the winter. I installed a push-pull tee in the tubing connections at the bottom of each cylinder and I have a plug installed in the lowest leg of the tee.
Prior to this I had a non refrigerated dryer that had twin chambers. It ran the air thru one tower while blowing down the other tower. It ran non stop and kept my compressor running all the time. I was trying to avoid running a refrigeration system all the time, but I am glad that I went to the IR.
Pricey unit! I am wondering if there is an inline filter to collect moisture. My doors seem to function pretty well after a few cold weeks and some fine tuning. Seals need replaced every two years though.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Air cools as it expands. So moisture filtures in the equipment room will not trap moisture that condenses down the line.

McMaster Carr Sells filters with auto drains. You can put one as close to the door as possible where the moisture in it won't freeze and it will likely do the job. Don't know how the air lines to the doors are plumbed, but it may be possible to use one for 2 or more doors.

Rudy

Reaction score
When the compressor runs, you can literally see the water going down the drain. Yes, I see a difference. I have a lot of ARO diaphragm pumps and haven't had an icing situation since.

Take note, that the pictures show rigid copper pipes.....and those didn't work out. They caused the heat exchanger to crack. They were replaced with flexible lines, and have been going strong since.

Rudy

Reaction score
I built my own air dryer using an electric fan and a hydraulic oil cooler. I plumbed the hot compressed air to flow through the heat exchanger. I mounted an electric fan to run across the heat exchanger whenever the compressor runs. The cooling effect condenses the moisture from the moist air. The water drips downward, and is removed using a simple bowl type air filter.

I've been doing this for years, and it works great.

jasonsdolan22

Reaction score
I built my own air dryer using an electric fan and a hydraulic oil cooler. I plumbed the hot compressed air to flow through the heat exchanger. I mounted an electric fan to run across the heat exchanger whenever the compressor runs. The cooling effect condenses the moisture from the moist air. The water drips downward, and is removed using a simple bowl type air filter.

I've been doing this for years, and it works great.
Hello there. Recently I witnessed that my compressor is not working properly. Can you suggest something that can be done for battery life? For example, what should I do in terms of discharge?

jasonsdolan22

Reaction score
Get a shot of penicillin and inform all your recent sexual partners.
I'm sorry. I could not express myself. I was on mobile. I wanted to say. What percentages should I go down to to make it empty for the battery?