What's new

Competing with Express Wash Tunnels

JamboWash

Reaction score
Hello

I have a Expresswash Tunnel just pop up within 1/2mile of my two self service carwash with one of them having a Washworld High Velocity Inbay , any one have ideas how to compete with such situation where free vacuums seems the main attraction for customers , and they dont mind paying more to wash their car at the expresswash.

MEP001

Reaction score
I can tell you why I wouldn't, because they're a significant source of income.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW nI have express washes with Pay Vacs. I alos have an 8 BAy and EE on the same property.

IMO people go to an SS because it's what they want and an EE because that is what they want. There is a porion that use an EE to save $ and you will lose those to a close EE.

I do not think you will lose many because of the free vs Pay Vac. If they come to you for the SS and you have vacs that work well they will likely use them. I think a few will go to the EE to vac for free and use the EE instead of the SS so you won't gain those people. If they want the SS, few will go to the EE to vac for free and then come to you for the SS. Making your vacs free gains you nothing there.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I do not know if you can really compete but that said I have a nice ee 1/2mile , this is what I have done and for me it been great
Keep wash clean
Make sure everything works properly
Handle any complaints quickly

madscientist

Reaction score
I also disagree with making your vacs free. That only guarantees zero income from them every week.

RAATCB

Reaction score
IMO Express Washes needs to offer "Free Vacuums" to drive extra customers in. Depending on location and competition. If you don't have much competition, you can charge for vacuums. Customers love to vacuum their interior after having a wash. With that being said, limit customers with a sign " free vacuum 5 minute maximum" on each vacuum drop and put a sign if customers only want to use the vacuum only and no wash " $3 Vacuum Only"

DiamondWash

Reaction score
ALL of the express washes in our area used to offer Free Vacs not anymore because the people who would go there we're freeloaders and left mountains of trash so they went to $1.00 for 4 mins on Vacs no more free items except for paying customers after the wash.

RAATCB

Reaction score
ALL of the express washes in our area used to offer Free Vacs not anymore because the people who would go there we're freeloaders and left mountains of trash so they went to $1.00 for 4 mins on Vacs no more free items except for paying customers after the wash.
You are right on that! Vacuums are great income generators, but again depending on location and competition, you have to adjust and see what you can offer to drive extra customers to your express wash.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
There are several reasons why it’s difficult for self-serve to compete directly against exterior express. First is the intrinsic strength of most express sites.

Express carwash properties are typically large sites that have excellent visibility and accessibility to high traffic volume roads that invoke impulse buying.

Most express owners give considerable attention to brand, visual appeal (big, bright and modern) and customer service - most express have two attendants on duty.

Finally, there is virtually no waiting in line, hand-finished qualities, done in 3 to 4 minutes, for $4 to $5 and free “self-serve” vacuums.

Basically, self-serve loses to exterior express in terms of convenience, image and value.

So, trying to compete directly against express by offering free vacuums would be like trying to move a fluid up a rope.

“Customers love to vacuum their interior after having a wash.”

Actually, they don’t. Statistically, only 20 to 25 percent of automatic carwash users will vacuum interior every time they wash.

This is why the recommended number of vacuum spaces is generally equal to between 20 and 25 percent of the conveyor length.

It is possible for self-serve to compete against exterior express but it requires substantial changes to the business model as well as reinvestment in the business.

mac

Reaction score
I have given my advice on how to deal with free vacuums, and for some reason, always get criticized. I know operators who were doing concrete work at home and had a couple of bags break loose in the trunk. So they went to the free vac and got it cleaned up nicely. Use your own judgment.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i charge for vacs at my little 2/1 because it's alot of work emptying the clean outs and garbage and sweeping up around the vacs.