What's new

Colored Tokens

Eric H

Reaction score
I have some Brass tokens that I sell to a few local companies for washing their fleet of trucks. I value the token at $10 and my buddy Waxman (you may have heard of him) has the exact same tokens that he values at $1. So far there doesn't seem to be any crossover but I need to purchase some more tokens soon and I'm looking for something different.
I seem to remember seeing tokens that were make of a blue or red color. I checked Van Brook, Hoffman, and Tokens Direct and don't see what I am looking for. I want a colored token so that I can visually see them as they go through the coin counter and pick them out.
Am I mistaken about seeing colored tokens?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I need tokens too, HM's show special runs until the end of the month, TD's until the end of June.
I think - would need to confirm this - that the HM1, HM2, HM3 tokens may be "red brass", I have samples sitting here on my desk, they have a reddish tint compared to the 80/20s. They are as expensive as high security tokens though, so...

TD's price sheet lists "red brass" tokens which are 85/15, I assume these are what you are looking for? I think when they get a little dirty I wont be able to tell the difference, at least not easily. So I'm looking at the nickel plated brass, about the same price as regular 80/20s.
I'm still considering switching to high security, but I dont think I can justify the price premium.
If I had a $10 token I'd make it a different size for easy sorting (shaker tray or coin counter), and probably go high security.

Adding to your thread, not hijacking it :) Does anybody have experience with the nickel plated tokens, do they tarnish as quickly as the brass? (I have extraordinarily low walkoff, so it matters.)

buzzin

Reaction score
The nickel plated ones seem to mostly keep a shinier finish than brass but when they do get corroded from water it is worse looking than brass and we have to cull them. We started seeing some ugly ones within about 3mos of first use. Not sure yet if some are just defective or its normal for the nickel plate to fail in moist conditions.

MEP001

Reaction score
You're looking for anodized aluminum tokens. They're available in a range of colors.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
"Spray paint?" Painted some quarters once to track them. If you tell the Feds I will deny it.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had to do that too, it was to keep an employee from just taking the wash-down quarters. She ended up handing them out as change to customers and kept the bills.