What's new

Coleman Super Saver Spot free

pgrzes

Reaction score
So I continually have a problem with my coleman super saver spot free. I just installed new membranes, and checked the ro water and it was flowing into tank at 2-4 tds. I have a 325 gallon tank upstairs, about 13' above pumpstand. I drained tank and let fill. I was running just over 3 gal. per min. ro and just under 4 gal. per. min. reject. Chack flow again before I left and was still at 2-4 tds. Come in next morning and tank was 37 tds. I checked and flow valve sounds funny(its only 6 months old) go upstairs and flow is around 200 tds. Around 185 lbs. Back off valve to 160 and flow is back to 4 tds. My question is how is the hard water getting past the membrane? Has anyone else had problems with coleman ro? Yesterday I checked tank and its down to 13 tds and flowing at around 4 tds. As much as I like my Super Saver Pumpstands, It is near impossible to get any answers from Coleman on any tech.

MEP001

Reaction score
It sounds like one of the o-rings on the end of the membrane isn't sealing completely. Did you lubricate the o-rings when you put the new ones in? I'm thinking with increased pressure there's some unfiltered water leaking by.

The big V-seal on one end isn't your problem - that's only there to keep water from going around the outside and not through the membrane. That can't affect the TDS, only the production rate.

mac

Reaction score
If you were getting that good tds readings when you checked it, most likely there is nothing wrong with your RO unit. They just do not produce good water, then bad, and then good. What is most likely causing this is water is back feeding into the tank. I've seen this over the years. It can either be coming from a self serve bay or an automatic. The RO water is all plumbed into each, and there are check valves to prevent the high pressure water from going back into the RO solenoid valve manifold. It can then go backwards through the solenoid and the repressure pump and into the holding tank. Don't know your equipment set up but a place to start troubleshooting it is to pull each line off of the solenoid one at a time. Then turn on the high pressure to that bay or auto until you see water coming out under pressure. Know what you mean about tech support. It is spotty at best ever since Ohanrahan took the place over.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am still at a loss. But at the present the water in tank is now below 10 and holding steady. When i checked the flow from the ro delivery line at one point is was around 200 tds. When it was the flow control valve was making a strange noise, backed off pressure to about 160 psi and noise stopped and ro dropped to around 7-8 tds. Its a Spraying Systems control valve. I seem to have a lot of problems with these valves leaking. Thinking the valve pushed pressure to surge and caused water to get bu the o-rings every now and then. Now with the lower pressure it seems fine.

chaz

Reaction score
Perhaps your carbon tank that filters out chlorine ....that’ll damage membranes really fast

Is the prime ball valve open? I had a similar issue on my GinSan unit after I changed membranes. Turned out I had opened a ball valve that ONLY is openered for priming purposes.

Also look for bad or stuck check valve

MEP001

Reaction score
If it was the chlorine prefilter the membrane would be ruined. Changing the pressure wouldn't affect the TDS.

I don't think there's a check valve anywhere in the system that could cause a problem. He said he's checking TDS readings at the flow into the tank, so it's not a check valve in a bay or at the auto causing contamination.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I have seen a system or two that has a low level emergency fresh water make-up instead of a pump kill, but I have not seen that on a coleman. Maybe someone added one?