What's new

Coleman Hanna - RO System

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Hello! I have a Coleman Hanna RO system. I currently use a Lowes booster pump (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1-HP-Stainless-Steel-Lawn-Pump/1000678113) to push water from the sediment filter to the membrane. However, we're experiencing low water flow in the flow meter even after replacing the membrane. My technician recommends switching to the F&W Booster Pump 1HP/1PH (#57170-1FW) from PUMP. Just wanted to get some suggestions here before I place the order.

Questions:
  1. How does the recommended pump differ from the Lowes pump?
  2. Can you suggest an equivalent pump available from KR?

Thanks in advance.

TMoliver

Reaction score
I would be looking at the Carbon and prefilters. If either or plug, clogged up or clasp internally not enough water flow to the pump.

rshiggaon

Reaction score
I would be looking at the Carbon and prefilters. If either or plug, clogged up or clasp internally not enough water flow to the pump.
Nope, I have checked the carbon filter and sediment filter, we have around 50 PSI. It looks normal.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
The advice above is good. Make sure you don't have anything limiting flow upstream of the sediment filter. At a minimum that typically includes a backwashing carbon tank and a single or twin alternating water softener.

Assuming there's nothing limiting flow, and your sediment filter isn't clogged, using the correct motor and pump is a good stroke. In order to spec the correct motor and pump, can you tell me which membranes you're using, and how many membranes you have. When the system was working well, what were the gpm numbers on your permeate and on your concentrate flow gauges? Were you recycling any of the concentrate?

Last edited:

TMoliver

Reaction score
Remember that Pressure and flow are 2 different parts of the equation. Is the pump incoming hard plumbed or is it hosed? The reason I have had hoses clasp internal with suction. Also I have had the incoming shoot off water valve come loose internally and not be fully open. Pressure is still there but flow is not. just my 2 tokens worth

rshiggaon

Reaction score
Neither of those pumps are what are typically put on an RO system.

The advice above is good. Make sure you don't have anything limiting flow upstream of the sediment filter. At a minimum that typically includes a backwashing carbon tank and a single or twin alternating water softener.

Assuming there's nothing limiting flow, and your sediment filter isn't clogged, using the correct motor and pump is a good stroke. In order to spec the correct motor and pump, can you tell me which membranes you're using, and how many membranes you have. When the system was working well, what were the gpm numbers on your permeate and on your concentrate flow gauges? Were you recycling any of the concentrate?
I replaced the sediment filter two weeks ago (Amazon link: here), and it should be fine. We have 2 the KR membranes https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-44...-osmosis-membrane-4-x-40-inches-2500-gpd.aspx. I remember we replaced the booster pump four months ago. I'm unsure about the specific configurations before the pump change.

Regarding the CH pump, what sets it apart from the Lowe's one and why is there a significant price difference?

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
You don't need the carbon in the sediment filter. All the chlorine should have already been removed by your backwashing carbon tank.

At what pump pressure did you run the system at when it was working correctly?

Would you provide a link to the F&W Booster Pump 1HP/1PH (#57170-1FW) you're looking at? Wonder if I'm looking at the same pump.

rshiggaon

Reaction score
You don't need the carbon in the sediment filter. All the chlorine should have already been removed by your backwashing carbon tank.

At what pump pressure did you run the system at when it was working correctly?

Would you provide a link to the F&W Booster Pump 1HP/1PH (#57170-1FW) you're looking at? Wonder if I'm looking at the same pump.
Having the carbon in the sediment filter should not harm, that is what I thought. I don't remember the pump pressure when it ran successfully.

Here is the screenshot of the CH pump.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.23.58 PM.png

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
The pump we'd spec for two 4040 membranes like yours is slightly larger:
GOULDS PUMP, MULTI-STAGE, 1.5 HP, 110/220V 1 PH
and it is pricier than what you're looking at now.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I was surprised to find out that Petit recommends yo have 200psi & 10gpm for their booster pump on RO.!!

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
I was surprised to find out that Petit recommends yo have 200psi & 10gpm for their booster pump on RO.!!
Hmmm. Why not use lower energy (pressure) RO membranes to achieve the same or higher gpm output?

Last edited: