What's new

Cold weather and Wash Select II

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
A new day and a new Wash Select II question. Today we had temps down around 17F and I noticed one of my two WSII's LED displays seemed to be having trouble. When the welcome prompt would switch on the main display, it would take a few seconds for the text to appear. The wash names and prices also seemed to come and go. I am assuming the cold weather has to do with this but is there another factor like a weak power supply or something? The other unit wasn't having this problem (although the bottom wash description will sometimes disappear on that unit but not today?). Both WS have a light bulb in them as a source of heat. Thanks for any insight.

semocarwasher

Reaction score
Believe it or not, the last time I had one do that it was the modem. If it is still doing it unplug the that modem and see if problem goes away. Otherwise it is probably display. I don't really know why cold weather would cause display to act like that.

WikiWash

Reaction score
From my experience it has been the heater and fan unit located in the back right hand corner that has caused that issue for me. Your WS2s have light bulbs inside of them for a heat source?? I have never seen that before.

Dcalhoun

Reaction score
I have had this problem and I agree with looking at the heater and/or fan. They are a pain to get to back in the right hand corner where you have to take half of the WSII apart just to get to them.

Reaction score
I agree with Dcalhoun, the fan has heating coils on it, the digits do go dim in cold weather even in Texas, but they come back on in warmer weather the next day!

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
It definitely had to do with a lack of heat in the unit. The heater/fan does not work and now is not the time to try to fix it. I did do two things for the time being. First, I mounted a 50W heat tape to the bottom of the cabinet as close to the front as possible. It heats the stainless under the LCD board and the heat rises to hopefully keep the displays bright and the buttons from freezing. I also bought a Lasko MyHeat ( http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyHeat-Personal-Ceramic/dp/B003XDTWN2) 200w heater with a blower from Amazon for $16. It heats that cabinet up nice and toasty. Now all I need is a thermostat for it. Problem solved.