What's new

cold water solenoid

trentu

Reaction score
Rebuilding my first wash and am having a bit of trouble with the cold water inlet. I have the cold water set down to 20 psi going through a normally closed solenoid and the hot water is gravity fed and open. Way I have it set is:

soap ------------/ ---------soap solenoid---------neutral
wax-------------/ -----coil----------------------neutral
|____Normally open --cold water solenoid---neut.
rinse-----------/ --------------Normally closed----cold water solenoid--neut.
|_____Normally open ----wax solenoid----neutral

so a DPDT with the coil activated by wax

So is this set right? I am seeing some weird behavior when I have the soap on in a bay I get a totally different function all lighting up. Could that be a symptom of the above or do I have a short somewhere? Any help is appreciated. I have been struggling with this for about 3 days. Thanks

Russ

trentu

Reaction score
well got this fixed. Had a floating neutral. Now I need to gravity feed the cold water so it will suck up wax like the hot water does with soap.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, your hot water valve is a NO one? So you're constantly throwing voltage at the solenoid to keep it closed? I haven't seen this before, but yet I've never asked anyone how their hot water is set up. My washes use NC solenoids for everything except the weep system.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably only closing the hot water valve when the pump is running and the selection calls for cold water - when everything is off there's no need to energize a solenoid to stop gravity-feed hot water.

trentu

Reaction score
so I don't like using hot water for the wax, waste of $$ but that seems to be the default. Yea, I don't have to close it off for gravity fed but I was leaking cold water all the time as it was under city pressure so I rebuilt to take out solenoid for hot water and put NC on cold water, now I just relay open the cold when rinse or wax is chosen. This rebuild has been an eye opening experience for some of the smaller details that are important!! :D (FYI, change out from 1/2" NO to 1/2" NC on a 6 bay was about a $800 mistake) anyone need some 1/2" NO demas I have 'em