What's new

Coin box selection buttons vs. selector knob

Scott220

Reaction score
Looking at replacing I-Wash hand bay equipment with Gin San. Any feed back on buttons vs. selector knobs on panels at coin box. I understand only one board operates all functions, has that been an issue? Also, feedback on Gin San would be appreciated.

Jerry

Reaction score
You’ll regret buying Ginsan. PM me for details and I’ll be glad to fill you in on my awful experiences(yes plural) with that company. Literally choose anyone else for peace of mind.

L

loewem

I had dilling harris push button doors. They had three boards. Timer board, sound board and controller board. It would make sense that everything could be done on one board.

Pros of push button/DH doors from my perspective:
- customer could select a function without having to turn past one or more functions
- meter box would reset itself so customer was always starting from the beginning
- allowed for adjusting time given for different products

Cons of push button/DH:
- if there is a problem with a/the board you can’t fix it yourself
- more expensive to purchase

I spent a lot of time and money trying to keep the push button meter doors working. Switched to the rotory dial and glad that I did.

One issue with the rotary switch is customers turning the dial rapidly. Every function will start as the customer turns the switch. I learned an easy fix for this from the forum....wire in timer delay relays at the pump stand.

I used a self serve wash in Maryland last week that had Gin San push button doors. Worked well. My one experience with Gin San was not good. Did not find them to be knowledgeable or helpful.

Good luck.

mac

Reaction score
Definitely stay with rotary switches. They are cheap enough to keep one or two as spares, and easy to replace. Hardly anyone I see ever maintains them though. Squirt a little WD40 directly inside them with that little red hose and they last much longer. With any push button unit, it will fail and usually you have to send them back for repair, which means a bay down for at least a week.

MEP001

Reaction score
Don't buy the Shallco brand rotary switches. They get so loose after about a year you can't tell what function you're on. They're hardly even cheaper than Electroswitch that can last 10 years or more.

Get some of these:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=335-1136-ND

Put a dab of silicone or dielectric tune-up grease on the shaft under the boot and it won't rust.

Scott220

Reaction score
As of now the plan is to modify the current I-Wash doors and stay with rotary knobs. Unfortunately I do have the knobs that get the slop in them and you can't tell what function your on. Those will be replaced also. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback!

soonermajic

Reaction score
Don't buy the Shallco brand rotary switches. They get so loose after about a year you can't tell what function you're on. They're hardly even cheaper than Electroswitch that can last 10 years or more.

Get some of these:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=335-1136-ND

Put a dab of silicone or dielectric tune-up grease on the shaft under the boot and it won't rust.
which electroswitch would you recommend? There are a lot of them

MEP001

Reaction score
Your need depends on the number of functions.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I got 10 functions, but 1 of em are rinse & 1 is Stop. As
Also, have TC & EC, which is redundant

MEP001

Reaction score
I prefer to combine tire cleaner and engine degreaser on one, and have a rinse after foam brush and a second rinse before spot free.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Which rotary switch would you suggest for my D/H retro, if I offer the following currently: Stop,TC/EC, Soap, Wax, Pre-Soak, Rinse, FB, SFR, Rinse

MEP001

Reaction score
Unless you have a definite plan for adding something like a foam gun or dryers, you only need an 8-position, and you'll need a two-stack.