What's new

Coin Box Heater.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Need to replace some coin box heaters.. Seem to be available in 20W-40W. How do I know what my 8 bay system will handle? Note I run 2 heaters in each bay. One for Coin Box and one for Bill Box.

MEP001

Reaction score
You have to convert the VA of the transformer to watts (or vice versa). Do you have separate ones for each bay or one large one?

FWIW here in Texas we call coin box heaters "That thing you unhook after the third time you burn yourself on it."

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You have to convert the VA of the transformer to watts (or vice versa). Do you have separate ones for each bay or one large one?

FWIW here in Texas we call coin box heaters "That thing you unhook after the third time you burn yourself on it."
Each bay has it's own transformer. I will look at label to see. what they are.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

So, the Transformer for each Bay is 100 VA will that handle 2 40 W Heat strips plus the Timer, coin Mech Bill accepter card swper etc.?

MEP001

Reaction score

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Nope. 80W/24v=3.33 amps. You only have just a smidge over 4 amps available from the transformer.
So, will 20 amp work. Seems to be what I am replacing and there haven't been overload issues.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
So, will 20 amp work. Seems to be what I am replacing and there haven't been overload issues.
It should. We build our doors standard with 2-10W heaters, usually mounted vertically. Sometimes we or the customer may add an additional 10 or 20. If you already have heaters, and they accomplish what you want, just replace like with like.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It should. We build our doors standard with 2-10W heaters, usually mounted vertically. Sometimes we or the customer may add an additional 10 or 20. If you already have heaters, and they accomplish what you want, just replace like with like.
I have a D&S system. When I added bill acceptors I added a separate box mainly for better security and I figured if they attacked the bill box the regular box would still function. It worked out well for later addition of swipers but I rightly figured the bill box would need heaters. After 7-8 years the heat strips do not seem to be working well so I am replacing them .

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I have a D&S system. When I added bill acceptors I added a separate box mainly for better security and I figured if they attacked the bill box the regular box would still function. It worked out well for later addition of swipers but I rightly figured the bill box would need heaters. After 7-8 years the heat strips do not seem to be working well so I am replacing them .
If your current heaters have been accomplishing what you want but just have stopped working, replace them with the same size you currently have. No need to re-invent the wheel. I've seen more than a few go overboard with heaters and have to increase the size of transformer and/or generate so much heat you start to melt stuff.