What's new

Coin acceptors

Jason Studer

Reaction score
I am considering making a change to a new coin acceptor for my Ginsan wash doors with the Multitron. All but one Multitron are 15 plus years old, and have been repaired a time or two. I don't care for the new style Multitron with the blue cover for a couple of reasons. One is that the coins seen to pile up before falling in the vault and I have a harder time programing this newer style

I have been using the IDX MA-800's in my vacs and vending for a few years with no issues.

Would you use the IDX in a wash bay setting or what would you suggest? Keep in mind I do need to have a multi coin acceptor, and the wash is in Minnesota.

Thanks in advance for your input. Jason

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I canned my IDX acceptors because they kept losing their memory. I finally tired of sending them back over and over for repair, only to have them lose their programming shortly after reinstalling them. I use only MicroCoin now.

chaz

Reaction score
Slugbuster III. Great pricing and the best phone support and very fair prices on service when and if ever needed!!!!!

copperglobe

Reaction score
Agree 100% with I.B. Washincars. We had the IDX for years and had the same types of problems. Now if you send an IDX back for repairs it will sit in their shop for a few months then only to find out that about half of them can't be repaired because they don't have the parts anymore. We quit IDX. I've got 15 IDX acceptors now that don't work and can't be repaired. I got so frustrated with IDX and their X10's and M800's.

We now use Microcoin and absolutely love them. Easy to program and they take multiple coins. We even purchased the ability to program the Microcoin from a computer. We have the specs for all our coins in a file, plug in the Microcoin to the computer, download the file and you're done.

BBE

Reaction score
I too had the same problem as everyone else with the IDX acceptors, always lost their memory. So frustrating having to reprogram the coins all the time. We use Slugbuster II's or III's. We have zero issues with these, ever.

Randy

Reaction score
We pretty much use the Slugbuster coin acceptors now. The repair turn around is fast and they don't cost an arm and a leg to get repaired.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I use SB as well. Wish they made a short drop version I need for a Vac.

Jason Studer

Reaction score
Do all acceptors hold there memory after being programed to quarter, tokens , gold dollars ect. even if sitting on the shelf and waiting to be installed when needed?

Thanks for all the earlier input.

I Was not impressed with Microcoins tech support when I called them with a couple of questions. I asked them if the QL was compatable with my Ginsan doors and timers, he said they should but was not sure and he would send me the a pdf with the specs and installation instructions and let me make that decision. No thanks.

Will my truck fit in your wash bay? I don't know, I will you decide.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yes, they should stay programmed.

Sounds like you got an idiot or a lazya$$ regarding the MicroCoin. It should work in place of any other long-drop acceptor, but I guess I could be wrong.

It seems the consensus is MC or SB. You will probably be pleased whichever direction you go.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Jason & others,

I am using MicroCoin with a GinSan control board. If you call GinSan ... based on positive experience ... I am pretty sure they will explain the specific wires to & from etc for the MicroCoin. I like both Parker & MicroCoin ... it just seems like MicroCoin is more future proof if there ever would be a transition of the magnetic signature of existing coins coming from the US Mint. The capability of 6 distinct coins seems like a compelling enough issue for me.

Just to share an observation about my several years of experience with MicroCoin QLs in our 6 bays .... when we start giving out 100% dollar coins (hopefully in a few months) for bigger bills in our two Standard Bill Changers ... we are planning on a greater proportion of dollar coins than we have now in our coin boxes. When that happens ... & since we absolutely know that our in bay bill acceptor maintenance costs are greater than the MicroCoin QL maintenance by far ... that change will help our bottom line.

Sigh ... another change that would definitely help is ... if we could only connect with an ATM distributor within the USA that would sell us one of the affordable outside of country ATMs that give an option to dispense a higher denomination coin along with bills .... cutting out the extra step to the Bill Changers.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I had a bunch of microcoins and had nothing but problems with them, and support was exceedingly unhelpful. This was quite a while ago so maybe it has changed, but all of them went in the trash - which left a very bad taste. Extremely bad.

I have a bunch of idx, they've been very reliable. As far as losing the programming, I program them twice - once in summer once in winter - because I suspected that the coin/token sizes change due to temperature. In other words I have the quarter programmed in 2 slots, one for a hot coin, one for cold. Otherwise I dont recall losing programming. Etowah valley does the rare repair for me and yes it takes a while.

I also have a bunch of Slugbusters. Their service is second to none. Ease of use terrific. They are a workhorse. My only minor complaint is that I'm getting about $5-10/week of larger tokens accepted (not mine) ... not a big deal for me but I need to follow up with them on that.

DavidM

Reaction score
I replaced my Multitrons with Microcoins in our Ginsan meterboxes. They mount the exact same way. The wire colors are different but Ginsan can tell you how to connect them or you can look up the meterbox wiring on Ginsan's website.

I have had virtually no issues with Microcoins. Have used them for close to 15 years. I can't say the same for IDX or Multitron. I do not have any experience with Slugbusters. We accept quarters, dollar coins and tokens.

soapy

Reaction score
I have been using secure coin for over a decade. I like that they make short and long drop versions. They are preprogrammed for quarters and dollar coins and let you program 3 more coins. They rarely loose their programing and have been very reliable for me.