What's new

Coin acceptor keeps jamming

Kirb

Reaction score
I have two of my IDX coin acceptors that keep jamming. I have a dozen IDX X-10 for 2 1/2 years with only a handful of jams. Now in the last couple of weeks I have had 10 jams in two of the acceptors. I have cleaned them with alcohol and it hasn’t resolved the issue. What else can I try?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
There's a very thin piece of plastic in the coin path that can sometimes fall out, and when it does the acceptor will jam frequently.

Where exactly does the jam occur? Did you check to be sure there are no wires falling under the acceptor? Could you have an employee putting something in the box to stop the coins from entering the safe and at the same time causing the jam?

Randy

Reaction score
I’ve had them jam if they aren’t installed in the frame just so. Also when the spring that keeps it closed gets weak they’ll jam. Check to make sure that they are closed all the way. Sometimes the wires that come out the bottom will keep it from closing all the way.

Kirb

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies

MEP,
The jam is happening when the acceptor rejects the coins and they back up all the way to the top. So I guess my real question would be why it is intermittently rejecting multiple coins? I am in a cold climate and was told that I didn’t need heat tape in the box but was wondering if that could be it.
Thanks,
Rob

Randy

Reaction score
Check the screws that hold the coil on the frame of the coin acceptor for the diverter shoe. Over the years I’ve had those come loose and the coin acceptor will then do strange things. You might have to just bite the bullet and take it out and send it in for repair.

MEP001

Reaction score
You might try reprogramming the learned coins, or try to determine what it keeps rejecting. There might be a new quarter design that's causing an issue. If all else fails, remove the catch cup at the reject. I've had customers fill it with nickels, dimes and pennies and leave it jammed.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I have Idx and I found that my heat tape needs to be working 6 months out of the year to avoid similar problems,overspray into the meter box.

Etowah