What's new

Coin acceptor down

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
My coin acceptors in one of my SS bays accepts the coins and shows the time as coins are dropped, but the coin counter display isn't showing the coin count and the equipment isn't turning on. Does this sound like an elecrical problem with the coin acceptor or is the problem further back in the equipment room?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like a coin acceptor issue to me, since the time registers with each coin. A little more info would be helpful.

What brand acceptor?
What brand timer?
What brand meter boxes?

chiggybite

Reaction score
See if your output from the timer is being energized. If not replace the timer. If it is check to see if your switches are being energized.

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
It's all Ginsan equipment. I spoke with their service dept this morning and he indicated that since the timer was reflecting the coins being dropped in by displaying the time, that it was getting the proper signal from the mechanical/control room so the problem must be with the circuit board on the coin acceptor in the bay. I'm going to send it in to have them run some tests and repair the thing.

I wonder if they'd have a used one they'd sell me for a back-up?

MEP001

Reaction score
The display in the bay is just a "slave" and doesn't control the timered functions. The one that does is in your pump stand. As already mentioned, if the display is showing the time, the acceptor is fine. There is no "signal" from the pump room, only voltage; whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
The display in the bay is just a "slave" and doesn't control the timered functions. The one that does is in your pump stand. As already mentioned, if the display is showing the time, the acceptor is fine. There is no "signal" from the pump room, only voltage; whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
Acutally, after talking with my tech who took the call, it sounds like a problem with the touchtron board on the door. It, not the coin mech, is what triggers the coin input of the timer in the equipment room in this type of setup, not the coin mech directly.

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
All of you were correct. The problem wasn't with the acceptor.

I not sure what you call them but the switches that control the pumps, theres a button that pops in and out as the pump turns on and off....there was a loose wire. I moved a coin acceptor from another bay and it still didn't work so as you all said, that wasn't the problem. Then I started picking at the wires and there was alosse one. I don't think it was making contact. So I put it back in, tightened it down and the bay worked fine with one of the other coin acceptors. Now I'm trying to intercept my coin acceptor that was sent UPS before it gets out of town.

Thanks for all your help!

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
All of you were correct. The problem wasn't with the acceptor.

I not sure what you call them but the switches that control the pumps, theres a button that pops in and out as the pump turns on and off....there was a loose wire. I moved a coin acceptor from another bay and it still didn't work so as you all said, that wasn't the problem. Then I started picking at the wires and there was alosse one. I don't think it was making contact. So I put it back in, tightened it down and the bay worked fine with one of the other coin acceptors. Now I'm trying to intercept my coin acceptor that was sent UPS before it gets out of town.

Thanks for all your help!
I think I understand the misunderstanding. When you are saying "coin acceptor" are you talking about the whole meterbox door from the bay? I have people call all the time that say their coin acceptor isn't working and they are talking about the whole door.

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
I think I understand the misunderstanding. When you are saying "coin acceptor" are you talking about the whole meterbox door from the bay? I have people call all the time that say their coin acceptor isn't working and they are talking about the whole door.
Yeah, when I called the Ginsan tech I explained that what I was calling the coin acceptor was the door in the bay (meterbox) where the coins are dropped (and the electrionc attached to it) and he explained that if the TIME was showing up on the display that it meant the problem was with the coin acceptor as, as he put it, the signal or voltage or whatever you want to call it was being sent back from the equipment room to the coin acceptor which could be seen by the fact that the time was adding up and being displayed on the door.
But the pump wasn't turning on. So I sent it in on Friday via UPS and today I got to thinking I'd move another meterbox door from another bay (don't know why the tech didn't suggest this) to the problem bay and it still didn't work. Now I know that it's NOT the door (meterbox). So I got into the equipment room and start looking at the switches, forgot what they're called... they turn the pumps on and off, have a "buttons" that pop in and out as the pumps are turning on and off, I have a spare so I thought I'd pop a spare on and see what happens and a wire pops off. So I put the wire back in and everything start working fine. Didn't have to try the spare.
Usually when I call the tech will have me check this or that, move things around etc...but i figured this guy was pretty sure of himself so I sent it. Even got a RMA number. Anyway, I put an "intercept" on the package so hopefully I'll have it back by Tuesday.

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
Well %$#^&*&%!!!

Got the meterbox door back after notifying UPS to intercept the package and it still doesen't work!
I moved the meterbox "in question" from bay to bay and the problem followed it. I guess I should have done that before I sent it off.

It appears as if the Ginsan Tech I spoke to was correct from the beginning, that the problem did in fact lie with the meterbox door, so I'll have to re-send it to Ginsan no Monday and have them look at it.