What's new

Coin Acceptor Double Pulse

docscarwash

Reaction score
My coin acceptor on a self serve (Jim Coleman) is counting quarters twice. I have swapped out the coin acceptor twice, the computer board, and the timer. No luck. Still double pulsing. Anyone have any ideas of where else to look?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
docscarwash,

In the embeddied logic electronic world there is such a thing as a need for "debouncing of the pulse". That is usually accomplished through both hardware &/or firmware. Since getting into embedded logic recently more than I really wanted to do ... there also could be a solution (maybe) had with either a pullup or a pull down resistor in the right spot ... since it sounds like you replaced all the pertinent interacting components with the known good swapping technique. The pullup or pull down has the effect of eliminating stray electrical noise issues. I wonder if someone on the forum has a pulse counter or a very fast response voltage tester that could show what kind of unsteadiness of voltage pulse is involved.

Some pulse detectors are just looking for when the voltage is seen at O vdc or wide open (no voltage) which is different than a 0 vdc ground path ... so it seems that a problem with the ground wiring ... maybe no or improper bonding of the all the grounds is causing an unexplained grounding loop that could be an issue.

I remember when I changed to dollar coin acceptors on our 16 laundromat dryers over 5 or 6 years ago ... I had to try some different relays accepting the pulse to avoid bouncing that would often cause double counting. Lo & behold adding a simple low cost Radio Shack relay (for pass through) provided trouble free operation finally.

I hope this helps ... let us know what finally solves what appears to be an electrical noise, ground loop, &/or a firmware debounce issue. All of these can somewhat be distinct issues IMHO.

It would be nice for us on the forum if we had access to a really good electronic engineer who would be willing to help us strike the right balance ... including long term costs for the electronic portions of our business from time to time.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Randy

Reaction score
What kind of coin acceptor are we talking about? Have tried swapping out the coin acceptor from another known good bay?

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I've had times where the quarters would bounce off the plastic funnel below the coin acceptor and get counted twice. Will only happen if the funnel is very close to the acceptor.

Higgs

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with double credit, in my case it appears the timer is the culprit as if I move it to a different bay the problem moves with it. It is a jim coleman 1024s linked with their swipe n clean system. Tried reprogramming with no change. Any thoughts? I have tried contacting B&C electronics thru their website but have hax no reply.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just saw the same thing happen a couple days ago. It's intermittent and happening on two Coleman shampoo vacs with 1034S timers. Dixmor said the LED-6S won't replace it, and I doubt the guy will spend almost $900 on timers.

Higgs

Reaction score
I called B & C electronic yesterday and was told that this problem is definately a timer problem, mine is also the 1034s, (had a typo in my last reply). He called the problem double pulsing and indicated it was very inexpensive parts that need to be replaced and that they just go bad with time, mine are 9 years old. He said send it in and they can repair for $70 plus shipping as long as the timer still works correctly other than the coin count. For about $20 extra they will also replace the display as they get dimmer over the years as well.

slash007

Reaction score
B&C are good about fixing the timers and they will run you about $100 each to fix. Not sure why you were told the LED-6S won't work, I've put in 4 of them on JC shampoo vacs and love them. I would change all my vacs if I found a good deal on them.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I wouldn’t waste my time sending a 1034R timer in for repair I’d replace it with a LED-6S, they are a much better timer. As our 1034 timers fail we replace them with the LED-6, never have a problem with one of the Dixmor timers and you can see the red display 20 feet away. .

MEP001

Reaction score
B&C are good about fixing the timers and they will run you about $100 each to fix. Not sure why you were told the LED-6S won't work, I've put in 4 of them on JC shampoo vacs and love them. I would change all my vacs if I found a good deal on them.
I'll try one, I noticed the plugs are the same on the fragrance and shampoo vacs, they just plug in on one side of the pins on the shampoo vac.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
LED 6s will work on the shampoo and fragrance vacs from coleman and you don't even need to change the wiring harness. It's just plug and go. Only problem you will have is the shelf the timer sits on. Make sure you get the dixmor shelf to swap out.

slash007

Reaction score
I'll try one, I noticed the plugs are the same on the fragrance and shampoo vacs, they just plug in on one side of the pins on the shampoo vac.
If you it is non snc timer you are replacing, it is plug and play other than using a different shelf like PCB mentioned. I got those from KR. If it is a snc timer, then you can just cut off the last two blocks of the wiring harness that go to the snc so that you can make it plug and play. Of course no snc connection with the Dixmor timers.

MEP001

Reaction score
The plugs are already two blocks short, so I'm assuming it'll just plug in.