What's new

Clearance for bug spray manifold

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Well yesterday just sucked! It sprinkled on and off all day and we only washed about 15-20 cars all day. One of those 15 managed to run over my bug spray manifold that is mounted in the middle of the bay floor. Don't know how they managed to do it, he must have backed up at some weird angle to hit it. Anyway all I have in town is a Lowes and I replumbed the manifold with plastic fittings that were obviously too tall since about the 10th car today hit it and broke the plastic fittings. I can get galvanized fittings that are a little shorter, clearance of 5 1/2 inches. That still looks pretty tall to me and the galvanized won't give like the plastic and I'm concerned about damaging someone's car. How low does it need to be to clear any car?
Thanks

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Jimmy can you send a picture(s) of your setup I am looking at doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Well clearly you don't want a picture of my setup. I went to take one this morning and it was broken again! I had it down to 4 1/2". I wish that I had taken a picture before so I would know what I'm doing wrong. I think they bounce a little after coming over the stops by the treadle and are dropping down on the manifold.
I bought the manifold from Ryko and it just mounts on the floor. I use a normally closed solenoid and I did have to add a booster pump to get the chemical to the windshield.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Does your configuration allow you to put a manifold from the ceiling? I don't know if you have "stuff" in the way which wouldn't allow such a thing, but if you don't, it may be a solution.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I think I got it last night. I bent it flat so that the chemical is going in the front insted of the top. I'm sure that was the way it was before. It would pay me to be more observant. I'm pretty sure that whoever hit it the first time had to have backed up to hit it. Never underestimate the ability of the general public to screw something up!

Etowah