What's new

Cleaning vacuum filter bags

DbltheBbls

Reaction score
Just curious if there's an easy way to clean the vac filter bags and how often some of you do it? We stand in an empty field and shake them out downwind on a weekly basis...what a nasty dusty mess.

MEP001

Reaction score
I clean them in a bay with high-pressure. Believe it or not, this method is not very messy. Fill a 5-gallon bucket about half-full of water and put the bag in. Spray into the bucket with the tip above the water (With some practice you'll learn a technique that minimizes the splashing). High-pressure soap works best. Take the bag out, turn it inside-out and spray it lightly to remove the heaviest crud, then repeat with the bag inside-out. Change the water and go to the next bag. When you've done a set, repeat with clear water to rinse them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Just curious if there's an easy way to clean the vac filter bags and how often some of you do it? We stand in an empty field and shake them out downwind on a weekly basis...what a nasty dusty mess.
Easiest way. Never clean them unless there is an issue. Most are designed to be "Self Cleaning" - They shake each use dropping most dirt off.

When there is an issue and typicaly it's conncted with a motor failure / replacement. Rmove old bag and install clean spare. Then, I have an empty 55 or 30 Gallon drum. and hold bag inside drum and shake off loose dirt. (Can't see letting stuff fly all over. Then dip in sudsy water and rinse with clean water . LEt bag dry then put on shelf as a spare.

MEP001

Reaction score
Some of the bags in the 4-bag vacuums are very thick and trap a lot of dust. If they get wet when they're dirty the stuff turns solid. Those type are by no means "self cleaning".

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
On a rainy day I'll leave the bags hanging in the vacs.
Clean out the trash in the bottom and leave the doors open.
I hook up an extension hose to my middle bay that can reach all my vacuums and take the gun off.
I wash the bags in the vacs from the outside in to the bottom of the vacs.
Then I wash out the entire inside of the vacs, doors, filters, sweep up everything and then wash around the vac islands.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
On a rainy day I'll leave the bags hanging in the vacs.
Clean out the trash in the bottom and leave the doors open.
I hook up an extension hose to my middle bay that can reach all my vacuums and take the gun off.
I wash the bags in the vacs from the outside in to the bottom of the vacs.
Then I wash out the entire inside of the vacs, doors, filters, sweep up everything and then wash around the vac islands.
Do you let the vacs run a while to dry out bags so dirt does not get caked on the wet bags?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
No I pick a day that is going to rain all day. That might not be a bad idea though.
I keep the doors open while I do all the vacs and by the time I'm done thier starting to dry. I just close them up after I'm done and call it a day.