What's new

Cleaning the fibreglass surface of my auto

carwashspain

Reaction score
I bought a site with a ten yr old Washworld Razor which is very grubby. I heard that baking soda mixed with white vinegar will clean fibreglass, but was wondering if anybody knows of anything different/ better to make the old machine appear ‘less old’?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
You'll probably need one of the acid cleaners, more specifically, one containing HF (Nu-Wall and Aluminate are two I have used). It's dangerous stuff, but it gets the job done. Some have used muriatic acid, and I have heard of using toilet bowl cleaner. I've never heard of the soda/vinegar mix.

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
As Pat said, probably the best bet is a cleaner containing hydrofluric acid. Many chemical companies market this as an aluminum brightener.

Eric H

Reaction score
I have Washworld equipment. I use the same chemical as i use to clean my PVC wall panels. Stone Soap's restore. sometimes i use a Mr Clean magic eraser on really tough spots.
Sounds like your machines were neglected so you'll need plenty of elbow grease. don't expect a spray on/hose off product to work very well.
Does anyone know if the WW covers have a GelCoat similar to boats? Maybe a local marina could give you some advise.
In any case, good luck!

chevyguy09

Reaction score
Hi Eric H.

our older Razors/HV's were fiberglass which had a gel coat. The newer/ Current Razor's, Profile, XR-7 use ABS plastic covers.

carwashspain

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for those replies. Nothing I’ve used so far has made any difference, including hydrofluric acid, however I’m about to try my baking soda/ vinegar mix, and will also try all of the other suggestions and report back.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about having it vinyl/ wrapped if cleaning is not effective? I think you could make it look cool,

carwashspain

Reaction score
What about having it vinyl/ wrapped if cleaning is not effective? I think you could make it look cool,
That’s a cool idea, thanks, but it turns out the hydrofluric does the job after all. I was assuming it wouldn’t, as it was doing nothing for my auto walls (which I was assuming were covered in the same grime as the machine), but I tried it today and it brings the white back really well and without too much elbow grease. I’ll post a pic tomorrow if I remember.