What's new

Cleaning Stainless

Mitch

Reaction score
I have a couple of older vacs that I need to clean. I have used hf on stainless before, but the streaking and etching is not acceptable. I had a product called clean stone, kleenzstone, kleanstone??? that worked great on stainless, but I cannot find it or remember where it got it. Anyone know anything about it? Other products or suggestions are also welcome. Thanks, Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Could cleanstone now be called CleanTech? I do remeber that it would discolor bricks.

MikeV

Reaction score
I just cleaned my stainless automatic, used nu-wall, kleen wall...whatever. Spray it on and hp wash it off, but don't let it dwell on there for more than a few seconds. That's what causes the etching.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use Klean Wall for the bay walls, and it cleans the stainless wand holders, mat clamps, etc. like new. Yes, it will stain if you let it dry, but it's an "apply and rinse off" cleaner that works well. You won't need or want to use it straight. Kleen-Rite carries it.

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know oxalic acid is a safer acid than HF.

It's what I use to clean boat hulls and it does work on metal.

blurdgman

Reaction score
You'll all kick yourselves for not knowing this sooner:
Go to Home Depot and buy Zep, stainless steel cleaner. It comes in a spray can, you'll love it.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
Would muriatic acid work in a similar fashion?
It will if you're really careful, but it must be completely neutralized or it will cause the stainless steel to "rust." I wouldn't recommend it.

blurdgman said:
Go to Home Depot and buy Zep, stainless steel cleaner.
It won't clean heavy build-up off a vacuum that gets overspray from bays.

JustClean

Reaction score
I use Klean Wall for the bay walls, and it cleans the stainless wand holders, mat clamps, etc. like new. Yes, it will stain if you let it dry, but it's an "apply and rinse off" cleaner that works well. You won't need or want to use it straight. Kleen-Rite carries it.
Would Klean Wall be okay for galvanized steel and aluminum? Have you had problems with corrosion?

MEP001

Reaction score
Klean Wall is ideal for aluminum, but I don't know about galvanized. I doubt it would just strip it right off like muriatic acid does, but I don't think it will clean it without changing its appearance. I'll try to remember to test some with a galvanized bolt tomorrow and see what it does.

As far as corrosion, it will make steel rust.

Mitch

Reaction score
The product I was looking for is Klenztone 1 at www.klenztone.com. I will let you all know how it goes, but it has been great in the past. I will find out monday how expensive it is. Nu wall does wonders for aluminum, I do not know about galvanized, and it will streak the crap out of stainless if you have heavy stain and must keep applying it over and over. Thanks to Bob for the link.

JustClean

Reaction score
Klean Wall is ideal for aluminum, but I don't know about galvanized. I doubt it would just strip it right off like muriatic acid does, but I don't think it will clean it without changing its appearance. I'll try to remember to test some with a galvanized bolt tomorrow and see what it does.

As far as corrosion, it will make steel rust.
Hi MEP001
Did you find time to see if this Klean-Wall is okay for galvanized steel? Would be really good to know. Thanks a lot. Cheers Justclean.

MEP001

Reaction score
I forgot all about it. I'll email myself a note now.