What's new

Cleaning Stainless Steel

sparkey

Reaction score
What would you recommend for cleaning stainless steel. I am looking for something to just clean my vacuums, vendors, changers, etc that will remove dirt and make them shine again.

MEP001

Reaction score
Klean Wall if there's a buildup of overspray from the bays. Sheila Shine won't remove bad soils, it just helps them to shine and has to be reapplied to keep them that way.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Klean Wall if there's a buildup of overspray from the bays. Sheila Shine won't remove bad soils, it just helps them to shine and has to be reapplied to keep them that way.
I have had an issue with Klean wall turning the stainless white / foggy on some items. Perhaps it needs to be diluted?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
What would you recommend for cleaning stainless steel. I am looking for something to just clean my vacuums, vendors, changers, etc that will remove dirt and make them shine again.
Sparkey,

We have been successfully using "Magic Eraser" or another similar cleaning pad that you can buy at WalMart & almost everywhere. Let us know if you honestly find anything better.

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
I have had an issue with Klean wall turning the stainless white / foggy on some items. Perhaps it needs to be diluted?
Yes, it doesn't need to be stronger than 4:1 for cleaning stainless. It will stain if it's allowed to dry, but it works so fast there's no need to let it sit that long.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Be careful with that product. It contains the fluoride ion so be sure to wear gloves and protective eye wear and avoid any exposure when using it. If you do get it on you wash with soap and water immediately or keep some Calcium Hypochlorite on hand to counteract its effects. Here is more information on the fluoride ion. Personally I would avoid using it.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg11.html

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Be careful with that product. It contains the fluoride ion so be sure to wear gloves and protective eye wear and avoid any exposure when using it. If you do get it on you wash with soap and water immediately or keep some Calcium Hypochlorite on hand to counteract its effects. Here is more information on the fluoride ion. Personally I would avoid using it.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg11.html
what would you reccomend as an alternative?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are several decent stainless steel cleaners. A lot depends on what shape the stainless is in. Zep has one that is available at Home Depot. I think they also carry Orange Glo. Sprayaway makes one as well. There are many on the retail market that would probably involve some trial and error to find what works best for you.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Nu-Wall from Arcadian had HF in it, but Klean Wall from AP Formulators didnt. Am I mistaken??

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It contains the fluoride ion. This ion is also contained in Ammonium Biflouride which some manufacturers use and claim their products do not contain Hydrofluoric Acid. Always read the MSDS sheet to make sure neither of these chemicals are in the products you are using.

MEP001

Reaction score
There is a difference though. Nu-Wall's active ingredient is hydrofluoric acid. Klean Wall's is sulfamic acid. While the latter may contain the fluoride ion, it isn't in large, dangerous quantities.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
For routine polishing we just tried a product called Red Max from Lowe's or Home Depot. Seems to work well and is economical. Whatever you choose, stay away from anything that's not water based. Oily residue will attract dirt.
MC