What's new

Cleaning RayPak heat exchanger

Eric H

Reaction score
Looks good, how did you clean it?
Probably not the smartest way but a vacuum and a blow gun. Vacuum was outside with a long hose and we wore masks. We were afraid to use coil cleaner (acid) because we didn’t want to get the firebox insulation wet.
We need to do the same cleaning to the water heater boiler but will probably wait until the spring.
The bypass valve was full open instead of about half way open/closed. I don’t know if that would contribute to the sooting vs being fully closed.

Last edited:

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The bypass valve was full open instead of about half way open/closed. I don’t know if that would contribute to the sooting vs being fully closed.
The valve being half shut possibly added to less heat dissipation? Too much external flame with not enough cooling off from proper flow on the external heat exchanger???

Our stage fired Hydro-Multipulse boilers have internal combustion chambers. We learned the hard way from a too little flow installation done by one of the local leading HVAC contractors. W had to hire a trustworthy independent mechanical engineer ... major redo ... extra cost ... as in many thousands of $$$!

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
mjwalsh,

By-pass valve is for boiler protection.
Without the by-pass, cold return temps result in excessive condensation.
Providing 130°+ return temps via the by-pass heats the tube bundle and flue faster, reducing the condensation cycle.

1/2" bypass valve & piping might be fully open.
Larger valves & piping will want to be partially closed.