What's new

Clack Water Valve Problem

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Its a very bad day to have a problem at your car wash. This morning getting ready to leave and washing hands, my soft water system started spewing so hard out of the drain. Hose water was going out every where. Repair company on 9-7-2020 my system was worked on. Changed all medias in all tanks and replaced valve with clack. every thing was working fine until today. On the clack screen it showed back wash with the timer counting down. When it reached zero the water stopped. Then it showed brine on screen with about 1 hour. Does anyone know why would the water come out so strong like full city pressure from the hose to top of the clack valve. There is a basin in the drain to catch trash that gets washed in. Was cleaned awhile back. This drain has never been stopped up once in 38 years. The water was shutting op about a foot out of the drain. Once water stopped the drain was fine.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Softener went into regeneration.
  • Step 1: Backwash - Valve opens to drain and flows at close to city water pressure.
  • Step 2: Brine Draw/Slow Rinse - Valve opens to slowly draw brine at reduced pressure. Typically, brine draw setting is 1 hour. Brine tank empties in 15 to 20 minutes and then city water rinses the media for the remaining 40 to 45 minutes. (Slow flow to drain)
  • Step 3: Rapid Rinse - Full volume again flows to drain for 5 to 10 minutes to flush remaining brine and settle the media.
  • Step 4: Brine refill - Water flows to brine tank to prepare for the next regeneration.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Softener went into regeneration.
  • Step 1: Backwash - Valve opens to drain and flows at close to city water pressure.
  • Step 2: Brine Draw/Slow Rinse - Valve opens to slowly draw brine at reduced pressure. Typically, brine draw setting is 1 hour. Brine tank empties in 15 to 20 minutes and then city water rinses the media for the remaining 40 to 45 minutes. (Slow flow to drain)
  • Step 3: Rapid Rinse - Full volume again flows to drain for 5 to 10 minutes to flush remaining brine and settle the media.
  • Step 4: Brine refill - Water flows to brine tank to prepare for the next regeneration.
What do you do to fix it? Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
What is it you think needs fixed? Assuming this is a softener with a single head on two tanks, it's doing what it's supposed to. It's possible that the restrictor has failed and it's dumping too much water during the backflush cycle, but it does flow a lot of water during that.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Sounds like it is working normally. The backwash cycle is a strong flow that lasts around ten minutes. Is you drain clogged?

I hate working on softeners. I am not good at it. I'm too cheap to have the local companies do it. They wanted $2400 to rebed a 10 cubic ft unit, so I did it myself yesterday for around $1000. I hope its working today :)

MEP001

Reaction score
I like working on softeners. I don't have any trouble understanding how they work and diagnosing them. I like coming in behind someone who tries to sell a new $2400 softener to the guy struggling to make a living off his wash, and I can fix it under $300.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I like working on softeners. I don't have any trouble understanding how they work and diagnosing them. I like coming in behind someone who tries to sell a new $2400 softener to the guy struggling to make a living off his wash, and I can fix it under $300.
Yep, lots of those guys. Not very many of em know wth they're doing on Water Softeners.