What's new

circut breaker always tripping on my compressor

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I am having problems with my circut breaker always tripping on my compressor. It has happened three times in the last month, I am not sure why. I have three 20 amp breakers that are joined together in my breaker panel. Could it be a weak breaker....should I replace all three of them to be sure?
It is a champion compressor. What else could be causing it to happen. I also have a motor starter contacter and I have it set on the highest setting. all the wires are tight and there are no loose connections.

sparkey

Reaction score
Take an amp clamp and check the current. If the current is well below the 20 amps I would replace the breaker. The 3 breakers connected together should be purchased as 1 breaker. Are you sure the compressor is unloading and not trying to start with pressure on the pump?

MEP001

Reaction score
I had the same problem when the compressor's motor started going bad. It would run fine if it stayed warm, but every morning it would trip when it came on because it was too weak to stir the cold oil.

Reaction score
I am having problems with my circut breaker always tripping on my compressor. It has happened three times in the last month, I am not sure why. I have three 20 amp breakers that are joined together in my breaker panel. Could it be a weak breaker....should I replace all three of them to be sure?
It is a champion compressor. What else could be causing it to happen. I also have a motor starter contacter and I have it set on the highest setting. all the wires are tight and there are no loose connections.
I would check the check valve in the tank that keeps pressure off the compressor when it starts.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I would only add one thing to what Sparky said...If the amps check high when you check each phase, take the belt off and check each phase again. This should point you in the right direction.

BTW, why do you have your contactor overload cranked all the way up if its the circuit breaker that is tripping?

MEP001

Reaction score
2Biz said:
BTW, why do you have your contactor overload cranked all the way up if its the circuit breaker that is tripping?
I was wondering that too. The overload setting only affects when the thermal overload trips and has nothing to do with the breaker.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I also have a motor starter contacter and I have it set on the highest setting.
If the contactor overload is set lower than the breaker in amps --- I would say it is most likely your breaker. I have been told that the contactor overload use the same technology as most circuit breakers so the thought of the breaker being normally quicker or something like that is not likely.

MJ

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
From what I've read, Overloads should be set @ 100%-125% of FLA (Full Load Amps) taken from the motor plate...If you have a 3 phase motor rated @ 10a, the overload should not be set above 12.5a.

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
If the contactor overload is set lower than the breaker in amps --- I would say it is most likely your breaker. I have been told that the contactor overload use the same technology as most circuit breakers so the thought of the breaker being normally quicker or something like that is not likely.
Are you saying the breaker is faulty, or are you saying the problem is more likely the breaker than the thermal overload? If it's the former, there's no evidence to definitively point to the breaker.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Are you saying the breaker is faulty, or are you saying the problem is more likely the breaker than the thermal overload? If it's the former, there's no evidence to definitively point to the breaker.
no brainer --- thermal overload set lower --- therefore it should have been the item to trip first! much evidence very definitive. LOL --- do you happen to be hanging around a certain lawyer we all know a bit too much?

Mike

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
When mine did that it was because it looked like it had oil in it but it didn't. I'm sure you are smarter than me though.

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
no brainer --- thermal overload set lower --- therefore it should have been the item to trip first! much evidence very definitive. LOL --- do you happen to be hanging around a certain lawyer we all know a bit too much?
No, I'm trying to prevent contradicting information from confusing the original poster. Your reply I quoted here contradicts itself.

My question was: have you determined somehow that the ENTIRE fault lies with the breaker, or were you agreeing that the problem is more likely to be the breaker than the thermal overload? I agree the LATTER would be obvious to someone who knows how it works, but there's no basis in fact to call the breaker faulty. Quite a number of things can cause the breaker to trip, such as the bleed-off valve stuck, a direct short, a weak connection, a stiff pump or a failing motor.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
more likely to be the breaker than the thermal overload? Quite a number of things can cause the breaker to trip, such as the bleed-off valve stuck, a direct short, a weak connection, a stiff pump or a failing motor.
Mep,

Thanks for the clarification.

Mike

Kevin James

Reaction score
Please “Coincarwash.ca” come back and post your corrective action. I think we’d all like to know what the problem or corrective action was. So many don’t do this, I think it would be beneficial to everyone.

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
It ended up being my contactor. I think a wire became loose and it was arcing and caused the contactor to not work properly. I put in a new contactor and it fixed the problem.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It ended up being my contactor. I think a wire became loose and it was arcing and caused the contactor to not work properly. I put in a new contactor and it fixed the problem.
Any particular brand of contactor that you replaced the original with? My Telemechanique with its overload specific part #'s were no longer available so we are going to try Fujis from Automation Direct.

MJ

Kevin James

Reaction score
Coincarwash.ca, Thank you for coming back and post the corrective action that you took to fix your problem. This is a big help when someone comes back and posts what they did to fix the problem.