What's new

Circulating pump ?

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I have a Armstrong S-35 circulating pump. It's about 15 years old, it may actually be made by Bell & Gossett.

I turned it on for the first time this year and it has a slow leak (glycol) at the gasket between the body and the bearing assembly. I'm thinking I should pull the motor/bearing and replace the gasket. But is it possible that it's leaking because it's been dry for the last 8 months? Could it reseal just by being in use?

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
I have a Armstrong S-35 circulating pump. It's about 15 years old, it may actually be made by Bell & Gossett.

I turned it on for the first time this year and it has a slow leak (glycol) at the gasket between the body and the bearing assembly. I'm thinking I should pull the motor/bearing and replace the gasket. But is it possible that it's leaking because it's been dry for the last 8 months? Could it reseal just by being in use?
If it is not leaking very much you might spray some wd-40 in where the seal is if it is open and let it run, sometimes they loosen up and stop leaking after being run for a while

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I seems to have resealed itself. The warm glycol must have made the gasket sighlty expend.