What's new

Christmas on a Saturday - Open the wash?

wood

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you tunnel operators are considering opening up on Christmas Day as it falls on a Saturday.

I am starting to consider opening for 5 - 6 hours on that day. Like most of you, I haven't in the past. Just, with our bad luck as an industry lately, I know it's gonna be nice that day. The Midwest had a terible November, and loosing a Saturday in December would add to the volume woes.

Are any of you considering opening with short hours, smaller crew or whatever measures you would take based on your type of tunnel facility?

Whether a Walgreens, a self-serve car wash, some food places, or movie theaters, some retail businesses do open in my area. I realize it is a small %.

I might check the interest level of some of my employees to see if they want to work. I am more then fair to my employees and would pass if I couldn't staff.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Wood

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In the city there is traffic on xmas day and we typicaly open. In the burbs the streets are dead and we do not.

Volume has been weather dependant. We are EE.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I can only speak from a SS experience, but christmas day is not a big deal, and sometimes with our wx is a complete waste. The 24th is always a good day and being a friday, may be excellent. The saturday effect with the 25th may be the key to making it worthwhile. I know the movie theaters are quite busy, and walgreens, is a different story, with convenience items.

my2cents

Reaction score
We have left it to the employees if they want to open or not. In many instances they want to work as the tips are very good on xmas. Typically we open no earlier than 9am and close around 3 unless cars keep coming.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Although I would like to close, I too believe it will probably be a nice day. If we are open it will be from 9-4, but I let my crew (3 guys) decide, Its already a short week for that crew in that they are scheduled every other day so its a Tues./Thurs./Sat. week. If by chance we can some great wash days the 10-12 days before Christmas, I may just close and give the guys 7 hours each of holiday pay. But right now that is a big "If" as they are predicting a blizzard on Monday and snow on Tues and Wed. also. We're primed with 5-6 days of snow since last Sunday all need is for the Lord to restrain this immoderate weather for a week or so. That would sur ebe a nice Christmas present. Merry Christmas to everyone and God Bless.

wood

Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

i guess i'm like chief's, knowing our luck it will be a nice day. i too, will leave it up to the exterior crew. assuming weather sucks til then, or is sporadic they might want to open to get back some hours.

at the very least, i am highly considering opening on christmas for the first time in the 5 years i have been open.

wood

pitzerwm

Reaction score
When I had laundries, Thanksgiving was my busiest day, right after dinner. I think that I was always closed on Xmas.

Etowah