What's new

Chlorine filter regeneration

Don B.

Reaction score
How often do you guys backwash your charcoal-chlorine filter bottle? I just replaced mine after 20 years. It was leaking. I can’t remember how often I had it set for. The new one recommended every seven days, but I thought I did mine more often than that. I’ve already disposed of the old one so I can’t check the settings on it!

$!cmad3k

Reaction score
Flush and regeneration are two different things. A purclean ro flushes for 2 mins every 4 hours and whenever you turn the power off/on. By default the regeneration happens every 7 days.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
RO systems don't backflush. You can't backflush a membrane without destroying it.

Carbon filters don't regenerate, they backflush and settle-rinse to repack the media bed to avoid channeling.

$!cmad3k

Reaction score
RO systems don't backflush. You can't backflush a membrane without destroying it.

Carbon filters don't regenerate, they backflush and settle-rinse to repack the media bed to avoid channeling.
Do you own a purclean ro?

Don B.

Reaction score

Yes , I shouldn’t have said regenerate. Water softeners regenerate.
I meant flush the charcoal filter.I think the RO just flushes-washes the minerals off the membrane filter.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes , I shouldn’t have said regenerate. Water softeners regenerate.
It's probably the closest applicable term. A charcoal prefilter is just a water softener with the brining ports plugged. I wasn't meaning to correct you. You're correct about the RO, it just runs full water flow at low or no pressure.

Don B.

Reaction score
It's probably the closest applicable term. A charcoal prefilter is just a water softener with the brining ports plugged. I wasn't meaning to correct you. You're correct about the RO, it just runs full water flow at low or no pressure.
Oh no, thats fine. I didn’t take it that way. That’s how we learn. It’s good to know exactly how all the equipment works.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
Typical life span on the GAC in a backwashing carbon tank is 5 years. After that you'll want to re-bed it (put new carbon in it).

Russ

Etowah