What's new

Chicago ICA- thoughts on going

Etowah

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
As far as the autocareforum meetup- perhaps a partnership with Kleen Rite to do a show out of the Vegas Warehouse would work( don't they have one? )Just a thought...

bigleo48

Reaction score
So maybe I'm one of the few that would enjoy Chicago...just not in March! I agree that the show is no big deal and to me just a 2hr visit and then a boondoggle the rest of the time.

gearhead

Reaction score
I don't have to flip the bill for airfare to Vegas and spend most of my time traveling. I'm going with the family. Close enough to make an easy road trip out of it. Plenty of interesting places to visit.

cmawash

Reaction score
ica and local shows are we buy equipment and lots of it, any ware but Chicago, will miss show first time in 20 years. any body who goes to chicago have at it.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
After further review, I have decided to go to the ICA show. Mainly because I have some clients that want meet me there and sit down one-on-one to discuss their washes and how recycling water can really help their bottom line. I find that most owners would much rather sit down to discuss their wash and see actual projected savings than to kick tires in a booth anyway.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
After further review, I have decided to go to the ICA show. Mainly because I have some clients that want meet me there and sit down one-on-one to discuss their washes and how recycling water can really help their bottom line. I find that most owners would much rather sit down to discuss their wash and see actual projected savings than to kick tires in a booth anyway.
So catec.com is not going to have a booth? Is sobrite or AquaChem?

Bob Koo

Reaction score
So catec.com is not going to have a booth? Is sobrite or AquaChem?
AquaChem will be at the Show our Booth Number is 543.
Just hope that we can get into Chicago without weather or snow delays.
I have went to the ICA Show for 20 years, but never in the peak of Washing Season in March.
I exhibited the last time the Show was in Chicago in May, 11 years ago?
I just remember I found why Chicago is called the Windy City.
It was windy, wet, and cold, plus I got the flu from the conditions and was sick for the entire show.
I bought golashes and an overcoat this time, eventhough I never use them again unless we have a Snow Storm in Florida

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
AquaChem will be at the Show our Booth Number is 543.
Your right.... I remember walking around in Chicago for the first time and saying "this place is windy". :)

I wonder where they got their name from? :)

Hope the meeting goes well for you! Haven't see you in a while.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Your right.... I remember walking around in Chicago for the first time and saying "this place is windy". :)

I wonder where they got their name from? :)

Not from what you experienced.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I decided at the last minute to buy a airline ticket and hotel room and attend the show for Monday only. I contacted my chemical company to see if they had any free passes (I've gotten them every year I attended) and they said the Association is discouraging exhibitors from handing out passes as they loose the ability to track the attendees. What a load of crap! What the Association looses is the chance to charge people an exhorbitant amount of money to walk the floor and consider equipment they might purchase.

So I went online and purchased a show floor pass (only) for $189.00. Why didnt I purchase the Membership and show floor pass for $289, because Id rather spend my money on our regional association who actually cares about the small operators.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that my stand up chemical supplier has offered to pay for my floor pass with credits on my next chemical order.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I received this PM from Eric Wulf. I don't think he would mind sharing this with all of you.

Hello. I've read the above and hope you will allow me to provide a few comments
for your information.

1. SmithBucklin is merely ICA's vendor. As of 2013, ICA directly employs it
headquarters staff. The board of directors, all of whom are members (car wash
operators or suppliers), supervise the staff.

2. Chicago did have significant issues as a trade show location, but new show
rules were enacted two years ago that have made a difference - thus our reason
for going. (The reforms are here: http://www.choosechicago.com/articles/view/MCCORMICK-PLACE-REFORMS/174/)

3. Our agreement with the WCA to combine shows wasn't about revenue, and in fact
it was WCA who reached out to us. We do believe it is a better format for both
associations and members.

4. I'm sorry to hear that you believe ICA is irrelevant. We certainly have areas
we can improve in, but we've also increased our membership in each of the past
four years - with great feedback on WaterSavers, Wash Count, our "E3 Series"
(including the Wash Different Workshop) and CAR WASH Magazine.

5. The roundtables are back this year, having only temporarily been suspended
due to space issues in Las Vegas.

I welcome your comments or ideas. Thanks for listening.

Eric Wulf, CEO, ICA - ewulf@carwash.org / 312.673-4721

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Relevancy is in the eye of the beholder.

Create economic score for carwash industry and it would reflect loss of momentum, greater volatility and long term growth prospects less rosy as previous yesterdays. Per capita carwash spending is about 18 percent less as compared to 2000.

Retail heat map of U.S. today shows West and S.E regions have gained momentum while the N.E., S.W. and Midwest have lost momentum.

Total spending on carwash equipment is about 70 percent less compared to 2005 levels while self-serve (wands) is about 92 percent less. Number of self-serve units is about 27 percent less than 2000.

Over 1/3rd of wash units are at gas sites. These were owned by Big Oil. Today, with exception of Citgo, they are owned by “restaurant chains” that sell gas. Number of units at gas sites is about 36 percent less than 2000.

Next biggest “chain” of washes is Mister Car Wash, over 100 sites and growing. Next are the numbers of small chains of express washes that have popped up.

There has been fair amount of consolidation in supply chain.

Ryko a maker of conveyor equipment marries with up with MacNeil another conveyor OEM. Legacy Coleman Hanna was bought by equipment dealer whose dad made chemical. Once there were 7 or 8 wash journals. Now, there are 3, one is ICA.

WaterSavers, Wash Count, E3 Series, CAR WASH Magazine are all relatively new products to serve the changing industry.

Roughly 56 percent of the fleet is independent operators. My guess is 30 to 40 percent of those units have underinvestment problem.

If you want to remain relevant today, you have to sell products that people actually want to buy and you have to invest in your business.

So, who is relevant?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I welcome your comments or ideas.
I think it was nice that he sent PMs to everyone.... I also think is it no surprise he didn't send the message publicly. I think there is an inherent problem with forums and will always cause credibility issues..... unless heavily moderated. How does anyone know if someone has ever gone to an ICA meeting? Or even owns a car wash? Plus how do you know it was really the correct Eric? :) Which is my point. After the PM I actually looked at their site again and noticed they have their magazine online.... which has to be pretty good? BTW My message was completely different and the same length (which I think makes a difference).

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Eric followed up his email with a call so I am sure it was the correct Eric. He is definitely interested in hearing complaints as well as compliments. I appreciated the call and the discussion we had.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Thanks Dean.

Read your comments on Big Show. Sounds like what I expected.

As for sadness, I may have studied economics but I’m not Ralph Nader of carwash industry.

Worst finally appears to be over because it is becoming easier to buy debt.

Although slowed due to recession, industry wash revenues are still around $20 billion.

Since cost of ownership remains low enough to see expected payback, the market is likely to remain strong in markets with good economic growth rates.

The principal barrier to industry growth as I see it is the unwillingness of a lot of owners to reinvest in their business.

Consequently, OEM’s have had to look for combination of independent dealers and online sales to effectively deliver products and after-sales service.

This has to be one of the most difficult aspects of today’s marketplace.

Otherwise, I see the carwash industry making something of a comeback.

Perhaps next year’s show will reflect this.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I agree with much of what Robert said. I look for something of a comeback as well. The problem with reinvestment is in most cases all that is out there is "same old, same old" with few real innovations available. I think OEM's need to work more on providing solutions and support to meet operators' needs instead of attempting to create trends like the short tunnel or dispensing equipment that works to tie operators to their brand rather than improve performance. I think more operators would invest in their wash if they saw an opportunity for real positive results from those investments. As Robert said in an earlier post "If you want to remain relevant today, you have to sell products that people actually want to buy" When OEM's identify those needs instead of trying to create them and operators see needs met by the products offered the comeback should begin. Until then any progress will be hindered by the failure of both to meet the needs of each other.

Etowah