What's new

Chicago ICA- thoughts on going

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Anyone going to the convention in Chicago. For some reason i can't get myself to go to Chicago. All of the other venues were fun to go to and visit , but not Chicago. I talked to a couple of suppliers that think the 6K crowd they had in vegas will be down this year. Also one of the highlights was hanging with Pitzer, The ACF has lost some sparkle without him also for me.
The show is looking rather expensive this year-Higher airfare-Higher hotels-Higher registration-Higher food costs.
The main speakers -(not a fan of shark tank)--
Are you guys still going with all the higher costs?

http://www.carwash.org/thecarwashshow/for-attendees/registration-packages
http://www.carwash.org/thecarwashshow/events/networking-dinners

Randy

Reaction score
I mentioned to my CFO if we were going to the ICA convention and she said there was no FRIGG’N way. She pretty much gave the same reasons that “Whale of a Wash” mentioned So I guess we aren’t going. We'll be in Vegas next year.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I haven't missed a show since 2000. That streak will most likely end this year. I have no desire to go to a show in Chicago. I could drive there in about 6 hrs or so. With it being at the end of March I don't relish the fact that dealing with a last gasp of winter is a possibility, along with all the other reasons mentioned.

Pitzer was at the 2013 show in Vegas, so he could possibly show up in Chi-town as well.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I thought the ICA wasn't going back to Chicago again? I guess I was wrong! The vendors hated it with all the union crap and not being able to carry your own stuff. Also there special tunnel that only fit union trucks? But those might just be wise tails?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I am going but I think attendance will be down quite a bit. All the above mentioned are the reasons. The last Show in Chicago did not go well. This is the home base of Smith Bucklin . It is a good example that they are of running the show instead of the ICA board and members.

soapy

Reaction score
I talked to the WARDEN and she said no way we were going even if Oprah herself was speaking. I have not missed a show in a very long time but I have no desire to go back to Chicago. Last time I went there was for my sons Navy graduation at Great Lakes and everything was just to expensive IMO.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I am going but I think attendance will be down quite a bit. All the above mentioned are the reasons. The last Show in Chicago did not go well. This is the home base of Smith Bucklin . It is a good example that they are of running the show instead of the ICA board and members.
Smith Bucklin doesn't runs them anymore.... they are independent now.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I’m not going for several reasons.

1) The people are great but I’ve always found Chicago cold, dirty and very expensive.

2) Management and marketing tracks are again filled with high-paid sales professionals and the topics are aimed at would-be consolidators, expanding chains, c-store/gas operators and others with deep pockets rather than typical independent carwash operator or new-bee investor.

3) The vendor session is New Wave Industries, Sonny’s and National Carwash Solutions show. Expect big sales pitch for express exterior, in-bay conversions, chemical, reclaim and belt conveyors.

Apparently, self-serve and in-bay has dropped off the ICA radar screen and independent consultants have been shunned again, probably forever.

I should hold another RJR carwash seminar. What the hell, I’m a former owner/operator and carwash advisor for about 250 new investor and remodel projects.

Who wants to go to Vegas?

MudMoney

Reaction score
I'm not going either for all the reasons given above.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
The ICA is listed as a client of Smith Bucklin on their website.
They are still renting services from them. They will be completely independent in a year or so? I believe this is completely different. Smith Bucklin was determined they were charging the ICA to much.

ICA is also changing a lot of things around.... kind of interesting?

Last edited:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
So they are still under Smith Bucklin. There has been talk several times that the ICA was going to leave Smith Bucklin but they never have. I believe they should but they will ultimately end up hiring another Smith Bucklin type anyway.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
So they are still under Smith Bucklin. There has been talk several times that the ICA was going to leave Smith Bucklin but they never have. I believe they should but they will ultimately end up hiring another Smith Bucklin type anyway.
Smith Bucklin is not managing the association anymore..... just hired out to help. They supposedly said they were going to do it all in house in a couple years? But many associations hire temps for registration? Also book hotels through travel agencies? I think maybe even Smith Bucklin (Not the travel agency part.)? One association hired female models to tell you where companies where.... I think that was the ICA/Smith Bucklin?

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
Maybe when they figure out half the vendors and attendees feel the same way and won't be there, they will quit having the show in Chicago. The last time we had a booth there, the associated costs and unions made it a complete nightmare! I can tell you some stories you won't believe about the unions and how they screw people.

As a vendor, I know we can invest our money much more wisely by visiting with our clients on their site, where it really matters.

After all, everything works great in a booth. Just ask the salesmen working the booth.

Viva Las Vegas!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It is a real mystery why they would return to Chicago. No one liked it there the last time. Attendees complained as well as the vendors. I worked a booth at that Show and can second much of what Dean wrote. Most vendors that I talked to said it almost cost double or more just to exhibit in Chicago not to mention all the other expenses involved like travel, lodging and food. It certainly is not a good choice for the ICA. I look for attendance to be way down this year and up at most of the regionals.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I am glad a few others feel the same, I thought i was the only negative soul that couldn't stand Chicago. With my 60 some days below zero this winter, I thought I might be just getting a bad attitude..OK I do have a slightly bad attitude. But, I would love to go to San Antonio , Orlando, or Vegas. It also looks like it will be at the busiest time for washing cars, if spring gets here. We all then need to go and support our regional shows. For me it is the Heartland show in Des Moines Iowa at the end of April.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I thought Texas was a great location!

I also never really understood why vendors took the ICA meeting so seriously? But of course I thought the KR convention would have been a success! So I never claimed to know everything! :) But all the smaller shows have big metal every year now..... for now. But the ICA is also going to do things regionally. I forgot when?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The ICA has talked about regionals for a long time. Probably more as a source of additional income rather than helping the car wash industry. As someone else pointed out - most of the companies that exhibit at the ICA Show are also at the regionals association shows. Usually a much better bang for your buck at a regional than at the ICA Show.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
going to fla w/whale o wash instead!!!!!!!!!!!!

lookout st augustine!

Randy

Reaction score
We’re been to one of the conventions in Chicago and it was horrible to say the least, we’ll never go back.

The ICA just bought the convention rights from the Western Car Wash association so there won’t be any more WCA conventions in Vegas after the one this year at the Rio. I don’t know how the WCA board of directors could sell off the convention rights without the approval of the membership. I guess the new of goal of the WCA is to have more regional road shows. The ICA is expanding into the European market with a car wash convention in 2015 in the Netherlands. Any one got the bags packed for that one?

I think the Auto Care Forum should have Roadshow Convention on a Cruise ship out of Seattle bound for Alaska. There would be plenty to do, lots of entertainment, have couple of meeting in one of the lounges. We’re onboard for that. Anyone else onboard?