What's new

Chemical question

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Two years ago Turtle Wax was purchased by Transchem - a successful Canadian car wash chemical company. They have a lot of experience in car wash chemicals and are much more involved in getting a clean, dry car than the previous owners that were more marketers than car wash people. That being said while I am sure they will produce good results it all depends on what cost per car they can come up with. Having the Turtle Wax name would be a bonus if they can do the job for you but I would never buy a chemical line based on the name rather than performance.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
When I operated FS, I installed complete TW line in wash and detail program. The goal and objective was to use brand name to help create more trust.

I found the products worked well, there was good support from rep, free initial set-up and calibration and good marketing materials.

TW was more expensive than regional or national blender but price was fairly consistent with other name brands.

I believe it did help improve business but difficult to ascertain how much because other improvements were occurring simultaneously.

Today, I like how TW has upgraded its line of products plus there is now phone app available too.

Several of my clients offer ICE and it’s worked out very well for them.

Looks like fire and ice is TW’s counter to Simonize’s hot wax and shine.

However, ingredient co-branding isn’t for everyone especially those who are more concerned with cost and less concerned with image.

Let us know how the visit worked out for you.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think the millenials are much less in tune with brands of auto care products than the boomers are / were. seems to have been a trend for a while.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I agree with Earl on this. While I think a brand name like TW, Armorall or possibly Simoniz would be recognized by more customers than the others but with little overall effect on many of them. Many of the boomers at one time or another used those brands and became familiar with them. People knew TW had a "hard shell finish" and many used to "simonize" their car. When we started the hand wax program at Blue Coral I remember one of the first operators that used the program had "Have your car simonized with Blue Coral". Some of them still want to have their tires "armoralled"

I think the millennials are not as much aware of car wash products today since there seems to be so many on the market with little loyalty to any one in particular. They are more service oriented using more utilitarian terminology like tire shine or waxing the car.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….with little overall effect on many of them….”

I’m not sure Bill Gorra or some others would agree with you.

According to aftermarket industry reports, the rate of spending on carwash products that protect has grown faster than products that clean.

People buy what they need and want. Otherwise, there would not be operators generating additional sales of $75,000 or more from adding hot wax, lava light shows and buffing units.

At home I use Meguiar’s. If I operated a wash, both wash and detail chemical would be one of the professional name brands.

Why?

Meguiar’s does not make professional products and general public doesn’t recognize regional brands or generic national.

For example, I asked one of my car nut buddies if he ever heard of Lustra, nope. He knows rain-x and the other carwash name brands though.

Ingredient co-branding isn’t going to fix a broken business. However, I find it helps build trust because the companies have history. They also spend money to advertise nationally.

Studies show Millennials and Gen-X have big trust issues. If they smell a rat, they won’t buy and they will tell everyone about it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
My reference was to the loyalty of former hands on users of products. At one time many boomers did much of their car care themselves purchasing products to to the job. As they grew older they began using professional car washes and took that loyalty with them. Most millennials have skipped the step of self care of their vehicles and are less likely to have a brand loyalty.

Look on the shelves of an auto parts store or large merchandiser like Walmart and you will see fewer and fewer car care products on the shelves as the years go by and many of those you do see are either off or store brands. While you prefer a brand name I think the impact of shrinking of loyalty to branded car care products is evident on the shelf. By the way, as you probably know, Bill Gorra does a considerable amount of business with unbranded car wash products as well as with Simoniz.

As I said before, all things being equal - performance and cost - using a consumer recognized, branded line make sense but would not be the main factor in choosing a product line.

KleanKars

Reaction score
Have been using TW ICE for the past couple of years with great success. Been in business for over 22 years with an exterior tunnel. Never used name brand wax prior, used good stuff just not name brand. My high ticket sales increased notably. Now I use the Fire WAX and TW triple shine too. Customers comment how much they like it. Also display in big letters on my digital sign TURTLE WAX. Sets me apart from the close competition. Stuff isn't cheap, but works well and has increased my sales, so am a happy customer. And NO I am not a TW rep and have no affiliation with them.