What's new

Chemical Expense as a % of Gross Sales

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My chemical expense is running at 5.5%-7.00% of total annual sales for my 2/1 Carwash and 4 bay detail shop.

How does your chem expense compare?

Reaction score
My chemical expense is running at 5.5%-7.00% of total annual sales for my 2/1 Carwash and 4 bay detail shop.

How does your chem expense compare?

I can't say how it compares to me per say, but I can compare to the national average which is 8-11%. So with that said, seems you're doing just fine.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I can't say how it compares to me per say, but I can compare to the national average which is 8-11%. So with that said, seems you're doing just fine.
If your chemical costs are over 8% of gross sales you are probably paying too much for your chemicals or are using more than needed. Costs should be closer to 6% than 8%.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Problem is my bookkeeping lumps some but not all detail and carwash chemicals together.

Some same chems are used in both carwash and detail.

So my method of determining % of gross combines gross for both and chems for both carwash and detail.

jfmoran

Reaction score
I can't speak for your auto, but in my detail shops we aim to keep chemical, shop supplies and equipment repair/replace between 5-7% of gross sales.

John