What's new

Chemical costs for touchless

mac

Reaction score
Would some of you mind sharing what you chemical costa are for a touchless cycle. Let's assume a deluxe one with tri color, wax, and two step application. I sell soap and just want to make sure I don't step in anything when talking to operators. If you haven't done, or had someone do it for you, a direct cost of the chemicals, I strongly suggest you do. It's the only real way to compare brands.

washme1

Reaction score
I haven't gotten an actual draw test. I'm lucky to get my distributor to show up and fix something...getting him to do a draw test if laughable. I can tell you that my average cost for soap only is about 56 cents. Last week 75% of my washes were double presoak 25% single.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
"I sell soap and just want to make sure I don't step in anything when talking to operators."

"I haven't gotten an actual draw test. I'm lucky to get my distributor to show up and fix something...getting him to do a draw test if laughable"

If he did show up, fix things and did draw test, I bet the cost for soap would be higher than 56 cents.

Mac, apparently there are carwash operators that value you showing up, fixing things and doing draw test more than unit cost. So, why worry about stepping on things?

washme1

Reaction score
If he did show up, fix things and did draw test, I bet the cost for soap would be higher than 56 cents.

The 56 cent figure is determined by regularly keeping track of the number of gallons produced in a batch of soap divided by the number of washes. It is for soap only.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
You missed my point. By showing up, fixing things and testing, the distributor would be spending more effort and time at your site and he would want to be compensated for this. The only way to accomplish this woud be to raise the fees and/or prices he charges you and this would drive up your $0.56 per unit cost.

Clean in Montana

Reaction score
You missed my point. By showing up, fixing things and testing, the distributor would be spending more effort and time at your site and he would want to be compensated for this. The only way to accomplish this woud be to raise the fees and/or prices he charges you and this would drive up your $0.56 per unit cost.
I let everyone of my customers know that I will pull volumes for them at anytime and there is no cost for it. It's a service that our company provides. The only time prices will rise is when the cost of products go up and we adjust for that.

As far as the OPs question...I believe the only way to get an true cost per cars is to pull volumes at the site in question. I also created a spreadsheet that is specific to a location, to get a true cost per car.

mac

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. Robert I wish I could show uo, fix things, and do an accurate test of chemical costs. Actually I do that now. It's my desire hoiwever to provide the best products for my customers in terms of cost and performance. I've been sort of expermenting with different chemicals and its been enlightening. I find some to cost twice what others do, and not give any extra performance. I look at chemicals the way I judge single malt scotch. You pay more for top shelf products, but they had better give results that your customers, or in the case of single malts, my taste buds, will see. I see some operators buying cheap soap and complaining about bacterial growth in the soaps. It's eye opening when I can show them what quality will do.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Mac,

The last time I owned a wash, Turtle Wax was still actively pursing new accounts in Florida. At that time, I made the switch from Galloway, a private label I believe you know of.

The Turtle Wax rep came to my wash and spent a couple of hours with me to discuss my concerns and needs and our marketing program and then he examined equipment, processes and wash quality.

He came back a few days later with a simple proposal that contained his recommendations for products (and why), likely per unit costs and samples of marketing materials.

When I gave him the green light, he came in and set-up everything including new draw buckets, foot valves, injectors/tips and new tubing from bucket to pump. He calibrated while we washed cars. He gave us a lot of useful marketing materials. No direct charge for any of this including the set-up chemicals.

After helping us make the switch, he put us on his route and came back every couple of weeks to check on how well we were doing, including a titration.

Turtle Wax was definitely more expensive than what I was using, but I was glad to pay the price because I was happy with the quaility of the products but, more importantly, I was pleased with the rep's service.

Shortly after this, I also bought all my detail chemicals from Turtle.

What stuck me the most was the guy's professionalism and the fact that he had a good understanding of carwash chemistry. He did much more than talk the walk.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Robert, your post reminded me of my experience with a NW Turtle Wax rep. I had met him at the show and he called and made an appointment to meet and get me all set up. He arrived 5 hours late and his excuse was "well, all CW owners are always late.

He setup everything because I was sold on TW. He promised to send signage and a number of other things that he didn't have with him. A few days later, I called him to inquire he would be sending the stuff. He also didn't have with him the stuff to actually "setup" the correct dilution, so I asked him to send me the device as I would like one for myself. It was a $10 "measuring cup".

He says, "Oh, I'm not going to send that stuff, I will bring it next time I am over there" (250 miles away)

I never heard from him again. I bought myself the measuring cup and checked, none of them were set up even remotely right. I called his boss, and never heard back from him either. Needless, to say, it was all ripped out.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I had a guy spend several hours here today. He is systematically switching me from none of his product to more and more of his AA products. His prices are pretty outrageous but his service is outstanding, not just on chemical but he helps me on the phone when I have equipment issues as well. I have to bite my tongue when I pay the bill but it's worth it. As many of you have seen from my posts I am mechanically and electrically challanged plus I am as tight as the bark on a tree but I am smart enough to pony up for a service that is well worth the cost.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
These stories all point out one fact. Operators need to know how to titrate and at least measure their product usage so they can make sure everything is set up as promised. I can't tell you how many times in my experience that operator's cost or setup was way off from what was promised - sometimes accidentally and others intentionally. A really professional sales person would train the operator on how to titrate and do volumetrics at their wash. Both procedures are very simple and serve to verify actual results for costs and performance.