What's new

Chattering issue HP

MEP001

Reaction score
I would not have recommended that check valve, but I have seen it used and it doesn't seem to be a problem. It just has a pretty tight spring, but you may not have to throttle back the valve to force the pump to draw soap.

Don B.

Reaction score
Well I was able to get the job done, not without a half gallon of sweat (Houston us pretty hot rn) few dozen muscle cramps and a bunch of swearing. The check valve stem fell apart with a touch. Got frustrated with a tight fitting and cut the hose off, regretted that as I needed the length and couldn't get the hose fully back on the barb. I got it as good as I could and hose clamped it. Everything works! If that connection goes bad at least it sticks out as something to correct. Thanks MEP! You the man!
Glad you got it fixed. It looks like the hose is on plenty far enough with the clamp. Mep already mentioned it, but I was going to tell you that I noticed that check valve is going to take more vacuum pressure to pull it open! It has a little higher cracking pressure than the check valves that are on it. Well, you got some experience on it!

Don B.

Reaction score
I would not have recommended that check valve, but I have seen it used and it doesn't seem to be a problem. It just has a pretty tight spring, but you may not have to throttle back the valve to force the pump to draw soap.
That’s the first thing I noticed in the picture!
That should help drawing soap!

KFPanda

Reaction score
I noticed that it took a good amount of force to open that valve. At least that one isn't cranked down so hard now, much quicker to get off and get to 3 and 5 now as well.

KFPanda

Reaction score
I also have some of those short check valves I think they are 0 cracking pressure, are those ok to use also?

MEP001

Reaction score
I use these:

They flow plenty for a bay pump, they have a weaker spring than the high pressure 3/4" you installed, but still gives enough drag where you shouldn't have to throttle the water supply. I've had no problems with failure since the spring and seal are 100% captive.

If the short ones you have are these, I wouldn't use them. They just don't hold up.

KFPanda

Reaction score
I use these:

They flow plenty for a bay pump, they have a weaker spring than the high pressure 3/4" you installed, but still gives enough drag where you shouldn't have to throttle the water supply. I've had no problems with failure since the spring and seal are 100% captive.

If the short ones you have are these, I wouldn't use them. They just don't hold up.

The short ones I have are the ones you use. They were so much shorter I figured they were for something else. I wonder what prev owner was using these high pressure check valves for...

MEP001

Reaction score
My guess would be they ordered some for where you needed one and thought they were the right size. They do work perfectly by moving the reducing nipple from the bottom of the check valve to the top and adding a 1/2" nipple to the bottom. For future reference, the fitting with the hose on it unscrews from the flare fitting above it so you don't have to cut the hose.

KFPanda

Reaction score
My guess would be they ordered some for where you needed one and thought they were the right size. They do work perfectly by moving the reducing nipple from the bottom of the check valve to the top and adding a 1/2" nipple to the bottom. For future reference, the fitting with the hose on it unscrews from the flare fitting above it so you don't have to cut the hose.
Yeah, I didn't remove the hoses first and it was so tight I ended up to where I couldn't get in the right position to loosen it and just cut the hose out of frustration. Funny how I was finished and never wanted to do that again and now I'm thinking on swapping it haha. It does work so I should probably invest sweat equity elsewhere.

n00bie

Reaction score
@MEP001
I have similar problem but a little different from KFPanda. As I turn to FOAM Brush back to RINSE, RINSE will not turn on (pump didn't turn on; no starving; water coming out @35psi) RINSE works when I switch to WAX then back to Rinse. Avoid switching to FOAM BRUSH, switching between other soaps is fine (RINSE and FOAM are next to each other). Is the rotary switch wiring went bad? I have replaced the bottom check valves. No tube leaks (haven't checked/replaced fitting for tube lines)

KFPanda

Reaction score
@MEP001
I have similar problem but a little different from KFPanda. As I turn to FOAM Brush back to RINSE, RINSE will not turn on (pump didn't turn on; no starving; water coming out @35psi) RINSE works when I switch to WAX then back to Rinse. Avoid switching to FOAM BRUSH, switching between other soaps is fine (RINSE and FOAM are next to each other). Is the rotary switch wiring went bad? I have replaced the bottom check valves. No tube leaks (haven't checked/replaced fitting for tube lines)
That does sounds similar to what my bay was doing that I replaced the rotary on. If going from wax to rinse worked reliably but foam brush to rinse didn't the switch is what it seems to point to.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
noobie yes check the rotary switch. Most rotary switches have two "stacks" . One stack with the most wires on it will control various LP functions. The other stack will have wires that correspond to turning on the high pressure pump, so it just has a few wires and they all connect together with one wire going back to the equipment room. Double check all connections there before you replace the switch

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
KF Panda you can get those check valves at the big box hardware stores over by the well pump supplies.

MEP001

Reaction score

n00bie

Reaction score
So it's not the rotary switch. I've been digging for the problem but no luck.
- replace 2 check valves under the pump
- replace 2 sus fittings
- open/clean soap solenoid
- open the pump head, look through seals they all look good (didn't changed new seals)
- change pump's oil (still see some air bubbles on top)

From the start it runs great for good 3, 4 minutes. As switching to other options, go back to rinse,Wax, soap pressure drops. Turn to low pressure, then back to high pressure the weeping build pressure, but drop pressure as I squeeze the trigger. Pump runs great without shaking or starving BUT the pump head gets hot quick (looks like overworked). One thing I know it's somewhere out there air gets into the pump because air bubbles coming out when I open pump head's plug. So frustrating. Should I go ahead replace new head seals?

KFPanda

Reaction score
I have a bay just start to drop pressure on presoak only. Not bad enough to vibrate much but noticeable drop and only presoak, all other hp functions on the dial work fine. Can flip back and forth between soap and presoak and it's about as instant as the switch action.

KFPanda

Reaction score
So it's not the rotary switch. I've been digging for the problem but no luck.
- replace 2 check valves under the pump
- replace 2 sus fittings
- open/clean soap solenoid
- open the pump head, look through seals they all look good (didn't changed new seals)
- change pump's oil (still see some air bubbles on top)

From the start it runs great for good 3, 4 minutes. As switching to other options, go back to rinse,Wax, soap pressure drops. Turn to low pressure, then back to high pressure the weeping build pressure, but drop pressure as I squeeze the trigger. Pump runs great without shaking or starving BUT the pump head gets hot quick (looks like overworked). One thing I know it's somewhere out there air gets into the pump because air bubbles coming out when I open pump head's plug. So frustrating. Should I go ahead replace new head seals?
Did you check/replace supply lines to pump inlet?

n00bie

Reaction score
Did you check/replace supply lines to pump inlet?
Yeah. No check valve under the tank for soap,rise,Wax. But there are check valves underneath each pump and I replaced both

Last edited: