What's new

Chargebacks again

HCCW

Reaction score
5 second delay. So scrolling past it does not stop the wash.
BRILLIANT. I love that. Even setting it at 15-20 seconds would work great. I’m going to have my electrician put a relay in each bay. The only customers of mine that won’t like it are those that stop the water to do some scrubbing of tires, washing with a mit, etc. but keep the timer running for when they want to turn it back on to rinse. But I can deal with them and let them know why we changed it.

HCCW

Reaction score
Ok but Worldpay does absolutely nothing to help us in this matter. You would think they would be on our side. Also it sucks that cryptopay is ONLY limited to Worldpay
Exactly. WP is trash. I use TSYS and I win every chargeback. They are very user friendly. We only get 3-5 a years.

HCCW

Reaction score
I used a programmable ladder relay, connected all the second layer outputs to inputs on the relay, then programmed the relay to send a brief close circuit for the button. I did one wash with a Hamilton D.A.N. system and eliminated the button, and I modified Cryptopay swipers for another by soldering wires to the buttons for an external hookup. The relays aren't very expensive, and if you have enough spare wires going to the equipment room you could do four bays with one relay.
How have I never thought of this?!?

MEP001

Reaction score
True, but then every time someone scrolls past that when flipping the dial, it would kill the wash. My customer would HATE that. Constantly having to reslide their cards to restart it? Not too mention the increase in transaction fees.
I have done it. A five second delay worked perfectly.

Rudy

Reaction score
New scam from the Processor....

I get a chargeback letter. I am able to locate the customer. The customer informs me that he DID NOT file a chargeback. He tells me, that he had to replace his card because it was lost. He repeats back (again) that he doesn't dispute the fact that he used, and received the car wash services.

It appears that the chargeback was generated by the processor.

How is this my fault?

Damoni88

Reaction score
New scam from the Processor....

I get a chargeback letter. I am able to locate the customer. The customer informs me that he DID NOT file a chargeback. He tells me, that he had to replace his card because it was lost. He repeats back (again) that he doesn't dispute the fact that he used, and received the car wash services.

It appears that the chargeback was generated by the processor.

How is this my fault?
I’m sure it is the pos company worldpay right?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
If you set it up where selecting "STOP" on the switch will end the transaction, all these problems should go away.
Installed this "feature" on NAYAX VPOS Touch readers at a customer's wash.
One IDEC SmartRelay with one expansion module controls all 6 bays.
OFF position on the rotary switch for 5 Seconds...credit charges end.

Dixmor LED6 displays money spent during credit operation.
Every 5 seconds, the display scrolls:
"Press STOP or Select OFF to End Charges".

Awesome!

Thanks MEP001

traveler17

Reaction score
Make your credit card max an odd amount like $ 6.37 . If they need more time they have to swipe the card again.
Every Jan. I up the limit an odd amount like $6.84.
I’ve done this for at least 20 yrs.
Sometimes I get a customer might ask why they have to swipe their card again and I tell them that some customers forget to press the stop button. They understand.
If I was you I would start with an odd price around $6.34 to 7.04.
I think I’m around $12-13.17 now.
This has worked very well for me.
That’s a great idea 👌🏼

HCCW

Reaction score
Installed this "feature" on NAYAX VPOS Touch readers at a customer's wash.
One IDEC SmartRelay with one expansion module controls all 6 bays.
OFF position on the rotary switch for 5 Seconds...credit charges end.

Dixmor LED6 displays money spent during credit operation.
Every 5 seconds, the display scrolls:
"Press STOP or Select OFF to End Charges".

Awesome!

Thanks MEP001
That is amazing! I need to do this at my washes.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Just got a chatrgeback that stung a little. Dude used a $5 gift card and purchased $60 worth if self serve time with the card. Got a $55 charge back. That's the biggest I think I've seen yet. I filled a report for theft of services but at the end of the day it just isn't worth my time to follow up. Changed my pre auth from $5 top $6 in the hopes that if he tries it again it will reject the card and he won't try too hard to figure out the system. If it gets worse it might make an argument to get rid of the swipers and have tap to pay exclusively. I'm trying to keep it in perspective. Although this pisses me off a little it represents less than .5 percent of CC revenue at this site.

HCCW

Reaction score
Whoa. Th
Just got a chatrgeback that stung a little. Dude used a $5 gift card and purchased $60 worth if self serve time with the card. Got a $55 charge back. That's the biggest I think I've seen yet. I filled a report for theft of services but at the end of the day it just isn't worth my time to follow up. Changed my pre auth from $5 top $6 in the hopes that if he tries it again it will reject the card and he won't try too hard to figure out the system. If it gets worse it might make an argument to get rid of the swipers and have tap to pay exclusively. I'm trying to keep it in perspective. Although this pisses me off a little it represents less than .5 percent of CC revenue at this site.
Whoa. That is a big chargeback.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Make your credit card max an odd amount like $ 6.37 . If they need more time they have to swipe the card again.
Every Jan. I up the limit an odd amount like $6.84.
I’ve done this for at least 20 yrs.
Sometimes I get a customer might ask why they have to swipe their card again and I tell them that some customers forget to press the stop button. They understand.
If I was you I would start with an odd price around $6.34 to 7.04.
I think I’m around $12-13.17 now.
This has worked very well for me.
I'm confused. Why not just use a count down system? If your going to make them swipe again at $6.34, just make them add time when the last minute warning goes off for $5.00?

I sold my wash about 6 months ago but had the countdown in the wash for the last three years I owned it. One charge back in that time. That was someone who swiped again right away for some reason and disputed the second swipe. I never asked why, I just deducted the $5.00 from sales.

When I set it up, I figured that buying a car wash in cash was always a count down transaction, so make the CC transition the same. Posters told me in no uncertain terms that the count up was the only way to go and there was to be no discussion of it.

I may or may not have been leaving some money on the table by not doing the count up, but I didn't have to try to retrain my customers or rewire my bays to deal with what your dealing with in this post.

Just my .02

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
. Posters told me in no uncertain terms that the count up was the only way to go and there was to be no discussion of it.

I may or may not have been leaving some money on the table by not doing the count up, but I didn't have to try to retrain my customers or rewire my bays to deal with what your dealing with in this post.

Just my .02
You were not leaving "Some $ " on the table. You were leaving a lot.

Bays did not have to be re wired for count up.

Customers may not always be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I think the vast majority have learned how to put their card in a gas pump, swipe and then pump until done or reach whatever level of $ the want to spend. Car Wash with count up is the same process.