What's new

Changers Used by Restuarant

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I know there have been many posts on changer use by those not using wash. The other day I saw a lady who runs local resturant getting quarters--we eat there often. S he doesn't get enough to threaten changers running out of quarters. We always have lots of excess quarters even with bill acceptors in ss bays. I did not challenge her but on further reflection I realized she brings us bills and we don't have to wrap as many quarters to take to bank--just take her bills. As long as it does not get out of control we look the other way.

Ted

Red Baron

Reaction score
At a wash I used to own, the manager at the local Dairy Queen would wait till he saw me leave on the weekend then come over with a handful of $20s and clean me out. I guess he figured that was easier than going to the bank on Friday.

Thus began a game of cat and mouse where I'd leave, then make a block and go back to catch him nearly there. He'd see me, turn around and go back. Repeat.

Nowadays I'd just tell him to knock it off, but when you have a 2-bay in a tiny town you can't afford to alienate anyone.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I know there have been many posts on changer use by those not using wash. The other day I saw a lady who runs local resturant getting quarters--we eat there often. S he doesn't get enough to threaten changers running out of quarters. We always have lots of excess quarters even with bill acceptors in ss bays. I did not challenge her but on further reflection I realized she brings us bills and we don't have to wrap as many quarters to take to bank--just take her bills. As long as it does not get out of control we look the other way.

Ted
I think it is a function of whether it makes more work for you or jeapardizes your sales. If it saves you time because you "Gain" less quarters and there is no danger of not havin quarters for customers, then she is almost doing you a favor. You could perhaps use it a an ice breaker by saying that you don't mind, but would appreciate any business she could send your way.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I always try to keep $1-200 wrapped and ready. Why fight them, just tell them to let you know when they need them. another guy used to get bags of $100 from me. Just that many less to carry to TD bank. I have never had to buy quarters. Heck Id love to have a deal with a Dairy Queen. Im sure you could get some free ice cream from him.

washman9

Reaction score
had same problem for years and finally switched to tokens. at this point in time i could not imagine having several hundrad dollars of quarters on site in the changers. some customers still do complain but with simple explanation regarding potential for theft most completely understand.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
had same problem for years and finally switched to tokens. at this point in time i could not imagine having several hundrad dollars of quarters on site in the changers. some customers still do complain but with simple explanation regarding potential for theft most completely understand.
I too remember those days. I switched to all tokens 7 years ago. I hate the thought of going back to quarters.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ted, unless you're concerned with wear-and-tear on your changer, it doesn't seem like you have a problem. I occasionally see people use our changer and not wash; I keep an eye out to make sure they don't do it frequently or get $50-100 at a time, otherwise I don't worry about it. Even with last week's rain five of seven days, we still took quarters to the bank.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have a sign that says "Change Is For Car Wash Customers", but I typically don't bother them. I also have taxis that do a regular run, but they also wash here. I did have a local 7/11 stop in every other morning and do like $200 worth of change. I informed them that they had a bank next door to their store and they should be using it. They apologized and stopped.

Big