What's new

Changer question

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
I currently have an American changer with an apex 7401 validator and am haveing issues with Bill jamming and it taking money but not dispensing coins can someone explain how they work as far as what's the acceptor part and what's validator. Also there is 2 computer boards inside I belive one I called the logic board but don't know the sequence in how everything works togeather

Randy

Reaction score
How old is the Apex 7401 validator. They need to be serviced yearly in a busy location. The Apex 7401 validator is a MDB validator, meaning it’s a multi drop bus validator. When it accepts a bill it will send a single signal to the logic board or controller, the logic board, controller will tell the hopper to dispense X number of coins. After the hopper dispenses the correct number of coins the validator receives a signal that the changer is ready for another bill. If you have a Apex 7401 validator my recommendation is to replace it with a Mars/CPI validator.

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
How old is the Apex 7401 validator. They need to be serviced yearly in a busy location. The Apex 7401 validator is a MDB validator, meaning it’s a multi drop bus validator. When it accepts a bill it will send a single signal to the logic board or controller, the logic board, controller will tell the hopper to dispense X number of coins. After the hopper dispenses the correct number of coins the validator receives a signal that the changer is ready for another bill. If you have a Apex 7401 validator my recommendation is to replace it with a Mars/CPI validator.
We just ordered the updated version of the 7401 so hopefully that will fix out issues. What kind of yearly service are you referring to? Don't know if it matters or not but the couple times it took someone's money without giving coins it didn't count their money on the lcd screen so thats why I thought it was the acceptor being messed up

Randy

Reaction score
I wonder what the upgraded version of the 7401 validator they are talking about? Who did you order this upgrades 7401 from? I'd see if I could cancel it. The Pyramid APEX validators are cheap up front, but they are expensive to repair, they normally run about $150 to repair, sometimes more sometimes less. The reason the equipment manufactures put them in there equipment is to make them look more attractive to the end user because the changer might be $200 or so less. They used to be Standards default validator until they started getting a lot of them back on warranty.

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
Got the newer model from twisted Quarter for about half of what kleen rite was asking for one it's been flawless for the last week

Randy

Reaction score
There's a reason why they are so cheap.

MEP001

Reaction score
the last one was from 2013 so I don't think it did to bad
If you ever have a Hamilton changer, you'll never question the extra expense. The Mars acceptors need service about once every two years, and that costs barely $100. The hoppers need the plastic parts inside replaced once every two million or so quarters, longer if they're cleaned before they go in. You can replace every part in it except the motor for less than $200. The motors last (I'm guesstimating) 5 million quarters.