What's new

Changer Protection

TurboJet

Reaction score
I've had a couple of the Standard bill acceptors destroyed by vandals inserting a pry bar into the acceptor thinking they can get access to the bills. They end up with no money, but I end up with a changer with a destroyed acceptor.

I imagine this has probably happened to other operators.

Any ideas to better protect the acceptor from a prybar? I was thinking some sort of stainless hood, but this will probably affect customers ability to visually insert bills into the acceptor. Any ideas or pics welcome.

Thanks. Turbo.

TurboJet

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the link to that thread. I also have the sensors, a pressure alarm switch, and a small board camera in my changers.

The problem is these guys walk right up to the changer, and with a flat bar they hammer or manually pound the bar in the acceptor just like a bill. I think they believe they can dislodge the acceptor or think the bills are just behind it.

Standard really should come up with some security idea. My local standard rep says they have no extra security options I can buy. The metal surround on the outside of the acceptor is also made of weak brittle pot metal and always cracks and breaks off.

No problems for 12 years, but I have had this happen 3 times in the last 16 months. I now have a graveyard of destroyed acceptors and these losers have gotten no money. My thinking is if I beef up the unit (appearance wise) a least they will think the thing has been fortified and maybe move on.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Offer a reward with pictures from your cameras. I did this for a company that kept dumping. Worked great.

Post the flyers everywhere.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I went to all tokens about 5 years ago because I got tired of dealing with that crap. I have not had an incident since.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I went to all tokens about 5 years ago because I got tired of dealing with that crap. I have not had an incident since.
Color me confused. Others may be as well. Howd do you dispense tokens? I thought this was done thru a bill changer configured for this? Thieves would still want the bills in the chnager.

As far as protection goes I think this is a tough one. Ideas. A brighht motion sensor light above the changer. Or, In Texas I saw that they put stuff in Jail. (some were just welded rebar. ) Basicaly, Jail bars around the front of the unit about one foot out. With holes large enough to reach thru to insert Bills and remove quarters but tought to manipulate tools that far away with small holes to work thru.

TurboJet

Reaction score
That's what my changer dispenses - tokens, and as Earl states, I still must take bills and coin to dispense the tokens.

I'm getting a quote Thursday to install timed automated roll down shutters on these two changers. So between certain hours, say midnight to 7 AM, customers will only be able to use my Credit Card to Token dispenser. I know this may inconvenience some of my customers, but for the number of customers during these hours they will have to adjust to the CC unit or buy tokens in advance. I think I'm willing to make this sacrifice, because I can see this vandelism just happening again in the future.