What's new

Changer Problems

Randy

Reaction score
It could be 2 things.
The reflective window in the bill box is bad or dirty or the sensor on the back of the validator is getting weak.
Try putting on another bill box and see what happens.

Noob

Reaction score
I cleaned the sensor on the bill box with some rubbing alcohol. It helped for a few days and then the problem began again.

Noob

Reaction score
Is it possible to swap out the sensor on the validator?

edredtop

Reaction score
A "wiggle" test may be helpful.
Slowly move the connections and wiring to see if it changes anything.

Noob

Reaction score
Where is the sensor on the validator? I cleaned the one on the bottom of the stacker. I assume there’s one that matches it on the validator?

Randy

Reaction score
Unfortunately you can’t replace the bill box sensor yourself, you’re going to have to send it in for repair. When the bill box is installed how much up and down play? You should only have about .030 up and down movement on the bill box when it’s installed on the validator. If the Blue bill box catch is missing on the validator this can also be part of your problem. How old is this validator? When was the last time it was serviced? If you need a spare validator I should have a few.

OLFOT

Reaction score
I had an intermittent issue like this on one side of my American Changer some years back. It was the push-in connections on the door board at the top left corner. (your middle photo)
Take a tiny jewelers screwdriver and work them out and back in until the insulation on the wire is not interfering with the connection.
I had just converted over to CC Talk which required replacing all the components and one side had this problem. When I figured it out, I re-worked the other side too.
No matter how you anchor that cable down, the connections still get "worked" somewhat when you open and close the door, so the connection has to be pinched really good between the wire and clamp jaws.

Randy

Reaction score
I’m having problems out of my changer. It keeps saying validator no com. Whenever I prop it up a little it will work. Anybody have any idea what’s going on?
Well have you got this problem sorted out?

Noob

Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet. I've been busy with other things. I still have a roll of plumbers tape propping up the bill box and haven't had an issue since I did this. I know its not a long term solution. I'll try and get it sorted out this week.

Noob

Reaction score
Called MEI tech support today. He seemed to think I need a new validator or rebuild the existing one so that’s my next step I suppose. We’ll see how it goes from there.

Randy

Reaction score
How old is the validator? What's the model number of the validator? I might have something that will work.

Noob

Reaction score
Randy,
I’ll remember that next time. I had already ordered a replacement from KR. They matched me up with at talos 6 validator. I went to install it today but the bill acceptor doesn’t fit through the faceplate on the changer. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to modify the faceplate?

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
Randy,
I’ll remember that next time. I had already ordered a replacement from KR. They matched me up with at talos 6 validator. I went to install it today but the bill acceptor doesn’t fit through the faceplate on the changer. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to modify the faceplate?
You may have to take the faceplate off the old one.

Randy

Reaction score
Randy,
You need to swap the bezel from the old AE2600 validator and put it on the Talos validator, it'll fit. The problem with buying a validator from KR or any of the other big box guys is they don't know anything about them. I get calls regularly from someone who bought a validator from one of the big catalog guys and they are having problems with them and they want me to fix it for them. There have been a lot of problems with the Talos validators.

Noob

Reaction score
Thanks Randy, I was able to get the new validator working this morning. Do you refurbish validators?

Randy

Reaction score
Thanks Randy, I was able to get the new validator working this morning. Do you refurbish validators?
That's good. Yes we repair validators.

traveler17

Reaction score
Randy,
You should’ve consulted Randy first about anything validators :), he’s the man