What's new

change machine signage

coolguy

Reaction score
As everyone does, we get a few bums who say they didn't get change, the right amount, etc.

We run through bills every day as a check, so we know these guys are bums.

If you have any signage that dicourages this, please send it along - we are working on it as our season is just starting - thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
Discourages what? Dishonesty? If some SOB is going to lie about not getting change, a sign isn't going to help. Place a good camera over the changer zoomed in so it can see bills deposited and coins coming out and call the police on anyone who tries to scam you. That'll certainly stop them from trying more than once.

If you really want a sign, maybe something like "Video surveillance in place. Changer checked daily for proper payout - no false claims will be honored." You might also consider switching to tokens - the "bums" are just looking for an easy few bucks and aren't going to want your tokens, so they won't be using your changer to begin with.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I do agree that tokens in the changers are a great solution for more than one reason.

You might put a positive spin on the sign, by stating that in an attempt to give them the best service and products available that all services are videoed and if they happen to get ripped off to please contact asap you so that the equipment can be fixed and any refund be promptly given.

This puts them on notice that you can look at the video and you do use it to make sure that they get their refund. With tokens, you can give them double their loss, which leaves a positive warm & fuzzy, and if you are getting ripped off, it doesn't cost you as much.

Turbo

Reaction score
As everyone does, we get a few bums who say they didn't get change, the right amount, etc.

We run through bills every day as a check, so we know these guys are bums.

If you have any signage that dicourages this, please send it along - we are working on it as our season is just starting - thanks!
Tell them to go somewhere else because your new "corporate policy" states that you cant give change. The next time you will not be able to give them the change. If they press you then tell you can try to get corporate to mail them a check if they give a name, address and a copy of their ID. Corporate wants the info to check "police databases" for "outstanding warrants" before they will issue a check. If they dont get the check and come back (they won't) tell them you'll resubmit if they provide all the info and copy again. These guys are oppurtunists. Since their bums work is not their forte.

I get a fair amount of rrequests due to change machines, vending, etc. we always give the money EXCEPT if we recognize the guy. 99% are small $ and legit (and from machines I have issues with) If so I give them the corporate policy explanation.

After 5 years in a marginal neighborhood I have had few problems since I ALWAYS deflect confrontation, smile and solve issue. If it means I give them a free wash, no problem. general policy: dont poke the tiger.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I have a log book at the wash, and feel if I'm getting scammed I pull it out to write down their information before giving the refund. I put whatever name they give me, license plate number, etc.. It's more of a "i got your number" type gesture than for me really to go back and check. That way I feel I'll only get scammed once by them, for they won't want to come back knowing that they have to give me their info again. Whether it's false info or not, but the type of vehicle and their license plate number can't lie!

bigleo48

Reaction score
This is just another example of washes not always using video surveillance. To me, these systems are not extras but a mandatory part of the wash.

Also, my attendants know that they are not allowed to provide cash refunds, but tokens instead (although we don't do tokens in the change machine). That is usually not a problem as the amounts are usually small (one or 2 $). So they just say "putting those tokens in the machine is like cash, so you won't be out anything". This also helps to keep the people looking for change for themselves away. If they say "I didn't want to wash", we just point to the sign saying "change for car wash use only".

Big

coolguy

Reaction score
Change Machine Signage

Thank you for all of your good suggestions!

We do have a video, so I will incorporate it into the sign that I wil post.

Thanks again / Jim

Red Baron

Reaction score
This will help too:

Customer: I lost 5 dollars in your change machine.
Me: Ok, sorry, was it a $5 bill or 5 ones coz I need to look in the change machine to see if it got hung up - what you put in will be on top.

The best clue that you're being conned: Yeah uh, I put a $50 bill in your change machine...