What's new

Center boom maintenance

Keno

Reaction score
A couple of the center booms are hard to turn. What kind of maintenance can I do to these to make easier to use? Looks like there is a wheel of some sort up there, do those require replacement at certain intervals?

Randy

Reaction score
Post a picture of what you have. It all depends on which center boom you have. I grease mine about once a year.

Keno

Reaction score
Forgot to attach the picture
Post a picture of what you have. It all depends on which center boom you have. I grease mine about once a year.
20220724_100830.jpeg

MEP001

Reaction score
There's a grease fitting in there, but judging by the ring on the plate left by the wheel I'd bet they're done. I run a wash with those same booms, most of them are extremely stiff, so I'm replacing them all with Dralco SS ones.

DPD36

Reaction score
Those look exactly like our Mark VII booms. We did not have grease fittings until I added them. Prior to the grease fittings I would pull them apart every couple of years and clean up the pipe/shaft in the middle. It is a chore unless you have a socket and impact. The nut is nylon filled and tight all the way out. 1-13/16" socket and a 1/2" drive impact makes it easy.
There is a bushing on the shaft that is delrin or some similar material. Mine are worn, but work fine when everything is clean.

Keno

Reaction score
It probably is mark vii, the pump stand is mark vii

Keno

Reaction score
I’ll have to get a man lift to get up there and check it out probably. Thanks for the info on the tools and supplies needed.

It maybe worth replacing later, I would eventually like dual center booms

MEP001

Reaction score
You might look into dual Z booms instead. With the dual center booms customers have to pass one hose around the other. I can't even imagine that battle when the people in my area put the gun away like this:

Wand.jpg