What's new

Ceiling in IBA

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a metal Kirby building and have wanted to install a ceiling in my IBA.

I am ready to price it out.

Should I go pressure treated 2"x8" or 2x6?

Should I use the 4'x8' Farmtek plastic panels?

I will use joist hangers and not but the panels too tight so they can expand/contract.

I also plan to leave a hidden hatchway to access above the ceiling if necessary.

IBFLYIN

Reaction score
I have a metal Kirby building and have wanted to install a ceiling in my IBA.

I am ready to price it out.

Should I go pressure treated 2"x8" or 2x6?

Should I use the 4'x8' Farmtek plastic panels?

I will use joist hangers and not but the panels too tight so they can expand/contract.

I also plan to leave a hidden hatchway to access above the ceiling if necessary.
Don't know why you would need pressure treated lumber at all. If you put ceiling panels on it, it should not get wet and rot shouldn't be a problem. We rehabbed a wash we built 25 years ago this summer. We had steel on the ceiling and it was screwed to regular wooden trusses. The trusses looked like new when we took the steel down. We had a shingled roof, I know steel roofs will sweat sometimes, depending on your climate.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
Ditto

We have regular non treated wood trusses with metal ceiling and metal roof. We also added 9 inches of insulation in ceiling. My son goes up there frequently to work in trough or get some items from storage--it stays dry although we get a little snow dusting up through the soffits in high winds.

soapy

Reaction score
Do you have a exposed metal roof now with no insulation? On my IBAs with metal roofs I sprayed them with 4 to 6 inches of expanding foam insulation. Then they were painted with a heavy duty white mobile home roof paint.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, my roof is insulated underneath with the fiberglass w/plastic coating.

I guess I will use standard lumber, not p.t. Thanks!

What about the Farmtek panels? Are they good for a ceiling in a bay?

Eric H

Reaction score
If you are just planning on doing the one bay you could contact Arlen Const in New Ipswich, NH. They build most of the new washes around us. They might be able to get you a good price on the Royal Renew panels. They are the same panels that I have on the ceiling at my Leominster location. I'll get you Matt or Dave's number tomorrow.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay thanks.

I sent in a request for dimensional lumber pricing. Got a guy to do framing part.

Just need to decide on which panels to install.