What's new

CCTV video file backup options

acbruno

Reaction score
What do you guys do to backup your CCTV video files? I thought about uploading files daily to offsite server storage which is fine but what if something happens and someone breaks into the equipment room and steals the DVR sometime before the backup is done? SOL right? I could do backups every few minutes on a couple cameras possibly or is this just going to have to be an acceptable risk we all take?

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
There are DVRs that can email images or video when certain cameras or motion sensors are triggered.

bigleo48

Reaction score
There are many storage & hosting sites one can use, but the problem then becomes exceeding the bandwidth caps on your internet connections.

You could use a wifi or ethernet backup drive system and put it somewhere safe (away from the PVR) and back up or store to it.

Big

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks but I do this.

DVR is in a fairly secure area away from cash repository points and that area is alarmed. Thieves typicaly go for the $. Anything is possible, but It would be difficult for them to bypass the alarm and get to the DVR and get it out in a short period of time. So far this system has worked. I only back up if there is an incident.

JustClean

Reaction score
Bolt it down, back it up on a drive in the attic and a sign in the office or where people see it:
"Dear Burglar - Sorry, but the video footage of you has already left this carwash." :)

acbruno

Reaction score
I like your idea the best. Keep the backup drive on location but in a place not accessable.

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
acbruno said:
I like your idea the best. Keep the backup drive on location but in a place not accessable.
That's easily doable - you can get a network drive pretty cheap and use it either for the main storage or as a back-up. If it's hidden and connected through a network hub, a thief wouldn't even know to look for it. You could even put it in a fireproof safe.