What's new

CC pay systems self service

Muddy Moose

Reaction score
I have a small 3 bay car wash with only coins excepted and the small metal boxes with rotary switches. what is the cheapest way to add, or retro fit a Credit Card pay system. Is Cryoto pay my best option, and do they offer phone pay in the same system, because I worried the card scanners will be outdated in a number of years.

Attachments

mngoalie

Reaction score
That'll be a tight fit. I mounted a small electrical box next to my pay box for my swiper. Its working pretty well. That was the best way to get my crypto mounted and it was only about $10/bay for the box and conduit.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
You’ve just barely enough room to add a Cryptopay reader on the front of that coin box. You’re going have to remove the lock bar, remove the green indicator light, put a new lexan price decal to cover the hole where the green light was, put the reader on the right side of the coin box. At the same time I’d replace the timers with a Dixmor LED-7 timer. I would also raise my price to pay for these improvements.

Roz

Reaction score
I am renovating a similar box. I looked at the laurel cryptopay box sold by KR and returned them. In the end I may just put the swiper and tap on the side of the box. Will see how that goes. While not ideal since now on front plate People will see them and appreciate that they are available.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I added a bill acceptor box and put Crypto on that. Figured if they attacked the box the original would not be damaged. (Minimum on card changed after video.)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I added a bill acceptor box and put Crypto on that. Figured if they attacked the box the original would not be damaged. (Minimum on card changed after video.)
I also have the add-on box from Jim at Etowah Valley all six bays. If we ever add CC acceptance besides our handy dandy $5 &/or $20 dispensing ATM ... that is where our chip PCI compliant card receptacle will be.

Last edited:

dbcknghm

Reaction score
Was in the same situation a couple of years ago... we are rural so tough to get decent service that is affordable ....so I do most myself..... got some stainless plate cut, hired a welder, bought the Onyx units, set them up - it was a learning curve as everything is a secret until you must have it ..... worked out well to a point...not hiccup free for us.... if you need help on the wiring, set up details or other let me know.... central canada

Attachments

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Was in the same situation a couple of years ago... we are rural so tough to get decent service that is affordable ....so I do most myself..... got some stainless plate cut, hired a welder, bought the Onyx units, set them up - it was a learning curve as everything is a secret until you must have it ..... worked out well to a point...not hiccup free for us.... if you need help on the wiring, set up details or other let me know.... central canada
I see you are somewhat north of us in Canada similar to our ND plains area. I am betting that the fact that you can dispense toonies & accept toonies is currently helpful. If not ... considering potential inflation ... it would tend to make the future at a minimum ... look a bit brighter!

An ATM distributor told me that ATMs with an option to Hopper Out toonies are available in Canada but not in the USA instead of USA combo bills dispense only.

dbcknghm

Reaction score
Yes..... Our coin computers are quite simple and programmable to basically whatever we wish, coins, token, mix them, any coin amount, currency from other continents....very simple to do but not quite sure where it maxes out as far as variation is concerned.....how much is programmable..... we do not accept quarters .... yes..... our bill/coin changes use a combo of both loonies and twoonies so if people want a $3.00 or $5.00 wash its simple...... frankly I find people need/like simplicity so I may look closely at using tokens in places other than ours....Quarters are ok but just time consuming and I find the larger the volume of coins the greater the chance of issues with damaged coins causing issues..... our larger coins have both pluses and minuses on that note..... I buy things I need stateside quite a bit when I cant find in Canada....

mac

Reaction score
I would just bite the bullet and replace the entire box. I mean this is what your customers see. Cut a hole about 1” wider than the box. Be careful not to cut the control cable. Put in a big box with coin, bill, and cc acceptor. Your customers will love it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have a small 3 bay car wash with only coins excepted and the small metal boxes with rotary switches. what is the cheapest way to add, or retro fit a Credit Card pay system. Is Cryoto pay my best option, and do they offer phone pay in the same system, because I worried the card scanners will be outdated in a number of years.
Muddy Moose,

There is no shortage of people advocating phone pay like you suggest as being more in tune with the future. I am cautious about encouraging too much phone pay even though Crypto may offer it. Below I linked an article I came across which kind of suggests a downside especially around gas pumps which some on this forum actually have as part of their operation. As far as explosions ... there is YouTube Clip showing with a cell phone user using his cell's flashlight app that supposedly did trigger a fuel related "horrific" fire. A link to that also follows:

Roz

Reaction score
We just did the update you describe by adding CryptoPay swipers to small existing box’s. We purchased the laurel CryptoPay metal mounting box from KR and just bolted to the side of the meter box. Took me about 2 hours to install 5. Longest part of the process is drilling holes thru stainless steel. Otherwise easy to do.

dbcknghm

Reaction score
Muddy Moose,

There is no shortage of people advocating phone pay like you suggest as being more in tune with the future. I am cautious about encouraging too much phone pay even though Crypto may offer it. Below I linked an article I came across which kind of suggests a downside especially around gas pumps which some on this forum actually have as part of their operation. As far as explosions ... there is YouTube Clip showing with a cell phone user using his cell's flashlight app that supposedly did trigger a fuel related "horrific" fire. A link to that also follows:

Am kind or perplexed...... anyone here have pumps inside thier car wash that this would be a problem? Still perplexed....