What's new

Causes of High Water Usage

Kzoodomer

Reaction score
Currently in due diligence on a first-time purchase. In reviewing water usage of proposed wash versus similar bay counts in my town, the usage is double. What is best way to trouble shoot. 4 bay, 1 auto. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help the newby!

Martins

Reaction score
From what most people here are prob gonna say is that means its busy busy! which is very good. do the finances match the water usage? usually its a good indicator of your overall business. if the numbers are low and water high, might mean someone is not "reporting" all the sales. never take the nudge nudge wink wink word for anything. make your offer based on provable tax returns.

mac

Reaction score
Check the usage from all washes in area. Go to wash at night and look for any leaks. And of course watch the place on a busy day.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm curious, how did you get water usage data from other car washes?
Water usage is merely a guide, not a predictor, be careful relying on it too much. This "calculating the revenue" is notoriously difficult.
There are lots of reasons why 2 washes that appear to be similar could have widely different water usage, such as minutes sold, efficiency of equipment (regens, softeners, etc), tips, pressures, hoses, customer/demographic washing habits, cleaning routines, recycling, weep, leaks, seasonal differences, landscape watering, etc etc. IBAs bring in another whole set of variables but you posted in the self serve section so we're assuming thats not relevant.

MEP001

Reaction score
IBAs bring in another whole set of variables but you posted in the self serve section so we're assuming thats not relevant.
He did say it's a 4 bay, 1 auto, but the auto being friction or touchless is another massive variable.

traveler17

Reaction score
Well if you looked at one of my washes you would say I’m slammed. I’ve gotta middle of the road 4/1 in a rural town and it’s an absolute joke what my water/sewer rates are, they are ripping my lips off!!! SS one city over washes 3x’s my lower volume wash and our bills are the same!! So be careful if you’re only going by water usage. Both touchless

mac

Reaction score
I'm curious, how did you get water usage data from other car washes?
Water usage is merely a guide, not a predictor, be careful relying on it too much. This "calculating the revenue" is notoriously difficult.
There are lots of reasons why 2 washes that appear to be similar could have widely different water usage, such as minutes sold, efficiency of equipment (regens, softeners, etc), tips, pressures, hoses, customer/demographic washing habits, cleaning routines, recycling, weep, leaks, seasonal differences, landscape watering, etc etc. IBAs bring in another whole set of variables but you posted in the self serve section so we're assuming thats not relevant.
Call the local water utility and they give it to you.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
just the difference between an older, slower iba touchless and a new one could be huge!

Kzoodomer

Reaction score
I did a FOIA request on multiple locations in my area on the same water hookup. One was friend that does 2x the business with 1/2 the water. I figure its roughly $500 a month that can be saved if corrected.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
They could even just leave a faucet running on sink to inflate numbers. It's happened.

Just had one customer that bought a wash and found the meter was faulty and recording more water than was used. Had another that the meter was located near the road and the line between the meter and wash had been leaking for a while. Most local water utilities will be able to check these things or recommend someone who can.

KYwashywash

Reaction score
I had a random person turning on my water valve on my water booster pump that was located in the auto bays. It cost me an extra 90,000 gallons one month. Put a valve lock on it and haven’t had the same problem sense. Kids can do crazy costly things!