What's new

Caulk on a roll???

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a couple of 10' tall vertical cracks in a corner that I need to seal up. One of them is almost 1/4" wide and I don't think I am good enough with a caulking gun to fill it without gravity taking it to the bottom and making it a big mess. I have seen stuff on a flat roll (like weather stripping) that I believe would work well, but I don't know what to call it. I have searched "strip caulk", but didn't get much other than a couple of items like Lowes would have. I would like something that is 1/2" in diameter and sticky, so I could just roll it right down the wall. Any ideas?

lag

Reaction score
Rope caulk is something most home improvement places have. Not sure if what your looking for

Stuart

Reaction score
sonolastic caulk. it is like toothpaste - a bit stiffer- for walls. Try the local concrete store. works great. I know of a company who fills their wall holes with this stuff and then paints it to match the color of their walls.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1067 I get it from these guys when my local guy is out of stock.

for concrete floor cracks-sonneborn self leveling caulk.

6t7gto

Reaction score
Correct. He gets the right size...shoves it in the crack and caulks over it.
That is why it is called "backer rod".

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Strip caulk is what I want, but a larger diameter. The gap I want to plug is open on both sides. Squirt caulk may just go right through and out the other side. That's why I want something fairly rigid. It is about 1/4" and at the exit of my auto bays. I've seen body shops with stuff on a roll, used for windshields and such. I figured something would be readily available, like larger strip caulk, but I may be mistaken.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I've seen body shops with stuff on a roll, used for windshields and such. I figured something would be readily available, like larger strip caulk, but I may be mistaken.
Auto glass shops use a product called butyl tape. My buddy who used to be in the business of actually caulking buildings used a backer rod, followed by caulk. I can text you his phone number. He's now in the car wash business and I'm sure he wouldn't mind talking to you.

MEP001

Reaction score
I know there's a caulk thick enough to not run out of a large gap, which is what you use the foam backer rod with. It's probably not something you'll find at a home improvement center. Try a masonry supply.

The strip caulk from O'Reilly's is for sealing the air box where the heater and AC coils are. It's non-hardening to allow the box to be opened again and isn't meant to be exposed.

Stuart

Reaction score
This is backer rod to use with caulk. Backer rod comes in multiple diameter sizes. The rod is stuffed in a deep or wide crack and then covered with the caulk. It is used so you are not filling the whole crack with caulk.

(sorry, didn't read far enough before posting:)

Again, sonolastic caulking. It is rigid enough for what you are wanting to do. It will not run down the wall. You won't find anything better.

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't need/can't use foam backer rod. As an example, picture two bricks standing on end, one 90° from the other forming a corner. They are not touching, but 1/4" apart. I want to cover that 1/4" gap. There is no place for a backer rod and caulk may just go right out the other side. The Sonolastic stuff may work, I don't know. Some large strip caulk would work great and would be so easy. These gaps are 10' tall and at the exit of my auto bays, so I can't just stuff some foam in it. My way would look a lot neater as well. Once again, does anyone know where to find what I am looking for?

Stuart

Reaction score
The strip caulk may not be pliable enough to work with to properly seal the crack that you are trying to seal and I'm not so sure it would look neater than taking some time and effort to use some caulking as stated above.

If you decide to use caulk you may need to do this project with more than one application. Start a bead as close to the center of the crack as possible and let it set up overnight. This would basically become your "base" since backer rod is not usable. The next day then do a sealing bead on each side of this "base". OR with 2 people, have one guy on one side of the crack with a ten foot 2x4 (or other object of choice). Coat the side facing the wall with oil so the caulk won't stick to it and have him hold it up against the crack. You seal the crack from the other side. Either way you do the project be sure to scratch the surface to clean so the caulk will adhere.