What's new

Cat to Amimitsu

hoyeman

Reaction score
Can I replace my Cat 530 with an Amimitsu 313 and can I use the pully that is on my cat.

Thanks
David

helpfuljames

Pump supplier
Reaction score
You can replace a Cat 530 with a 313 with some changes.
The hub will change from 24 mm on the 530 to 18 mm on the 313.
The pump pulley will decrease in diameter by 20% to acheive the same flow.
The rails will require re-drilling and positioning.

The 530 has about twice the capacity of the 313. Why not choose the 516 instead? This is our most popular 310 replacement. A 516 would require only a 10% increase in motor pulley or 10% decrease in pump pulley to acheive the same performance. The 516 shaft is 22 mm.

Gabriel

Reaction score
James, did you ever figure out how to put the 516 direct drive on the old Ryko 5 hp motor shaft? I need that conversion.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
James, why isn't the Arimitsu shaft the same size as Cat's? Is there some benefit to the odd sizes that I am missing? I would think in many applications the Cat pulley diameter would suffice (athough not in this particular case), making the Arimitsu even a more appealing replacement than it is now.

I agree that the 516 would be a more appropriate replacement in this instance. I have 12 of them in service now and plan to eventually have all my pumps changed to the 516. I noticed at the ICA show that Etowah Valley Equipment had them on their SS pump stands.

helpfuljames

Pump supplier
Reaction score
I.B.: The shaft is the standard size sold in Japan. Arimitsu has about 80% market share of car washes in Japan and Maruyama (the maker of the Cat pump) and other suppliers divide up the remaining 20%. What is a barrier to entry for competitors in Japan is a barrier for Arimitsu here. Most customers, such as yourself, choose Arimitsu and never go back, so it is a 1 time issue. It can be changed, but I have not really found it to be a problem since we offer pulleys, hubs and rails for upgrade, and all of this is available from most catalog wholesalers.

Gator: Still no change over for the old Ryko stands. Sorry. We do offer our proprietary floating pump technology that eliminates bell housings, noise and couplers, but it will require purchase of a pump/motor set; not retrofit with an existing motor.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I.B.: The shaft is the standard size sold in Japan. Arimitsu has about 80% market share of car washes in Japan and Maruyama (the maker of the Cat pump) and other suppliers divide up the remaining 20%. What is a barrier to entry for competitors in Japan is a barrier for Arimitsu here. Most customers, such as yourself, choose Arimitsu and never go back, so it is a 1 time issue. It can be changed, but I have not really found it to be a problem since we offer pulleys, hubs and rails for upgrade, and all of this is available from most catalog wholesalers.
James, I agree that the pulley change is no big deal, but when I recommend swapping Arimitsu to other operators I frequently hear the same question "Do you have to change the pulley?" I'm not sure why that seems to intimidate some, maybe the cost of the pulley, fear of many trips to the store for a belt, I dunno. I think it costs you some sales though.

wagsnwheels

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but why are you reducing the size of your pump? If you have a CAT 530 why go smaller??

MEP001

Reaction score
wahsnwheels said:
Excuse my ignorance, but why are you reducing the size of your pump? If you have a CAT 530 why go smaller??
In typical self-serve applications, a 530 is far more pump than is needed.

helpfuljames

Pump supplier
Reaction score
Well since we are on the change topic, if the shaft were redone to 20 mm like the Cat 310, do you think a dual shaft (one on each side) is necessary? I get mixed repsonses about this.

Wagsnwheel: The change from Cat to Arimitsu is done for reasons that include noise, cost of maintenance and ease of service. As usual MEP001 is correct, 530 is way more pump than is needed. Model 313 is the #1 selling car wash pump in Japan and literally made for this exact purpose. Folks often choose the 516 just because it is bigger - like the 530. We appreciate everyone that buys our products.

MEP001

Reaction score
helpfuljames said:
Well since we are on the change topic, if the shaft were redone to 20 mm like the Cat 310, do you think a dual shaft (one on each side) is necessary? I get mixed repsonses about this.
How easy is it to swap the shaft around in an Arimitsu? We used to sell a lot of General pumps, and if we had a call for a left-hand and only had right-hand in stock, I'd turn the shaft around. I had the process down to about 15 minutes, even had a few customers wait and watch while I did it.

I know someone who loves the Giant 318A - to swap the shaft, you just flip the pump, then flip the manifold on it.

I wonder if it's possible to have someone make a shaft adaptor to fit over the 18MM Arimitsu and use the 20MM Cat pulley, or would that 8" pulley then be too big?

helpfuljames

Pump supplier
Reaction score
MEP001: It is very easy to do the change over. My guy here used to work at Cat and General and he is impressed at the relative ease. The bonus is that the shaft will still spin freely after the change over in comparison to the others. The 313 was orignally designed to flip over like the Giant, but customers disliked the "z" or "c" rails needed to install so the mold was changed to the conventional "L" bracket.

Shaft adapters are available, but a QD or H bushing is so much cheaper and easier to replace on a sheave. The 8" pulley on a 313 will provide about 3.6 gpm vs 4 gpm out of a 310. A nozzle change from '07 to '065 about covers the difference in flow for the same pressure.

Gabriel

Reaction score
MEP has the right solution and it should actually be a simple one. I am amazed that some engineer or company hasn't done this many times over already. So what if you still had to change the pulley, it would still be a simple solution. Actually Armitisu should have made the available 5 to 10 years ago.

Gabriel

Reaction score
The 530 may be a little over kill, but it is a wonderful pump that does the job at almost any psi applicable and is just loafing. It is a thing of beauty and a work horse. They are quiet, powerful, reliable and often equipment companies will give you the option of choosing this pump at no extra cost. That is a deal. I have seen many over 20 years old that have never been touched except for regular oil changes.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I have 340 Cat direct drives. Is there an Arimitsu pump that will replace the Cat while keeping the same 5hp motor?

Wally

Reaction score
Gator, your right on. Mine are over 20 years old. I`ve put some seals in and even had a head to wash out on one. They are quiet and just coasting at 1200psi, you can carry on a conversation in my pump room with the pumps running. I`ve been in some where you couldn`t. I`ve always thought I`d try an Arimitsu if one of mine ever fails. From what I`ve learned about them I would probably go with the 516.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Wally, I would do the same if I could get a conversion kit for the old Ryko/Wanner pump set up. Arimitsu does not have that conversion and I hate that they don't. We are gradually changing out the Wanners with a Cat conversion kit that has been very good and I appreciate them for making it available. The pump supplied by Cat for this conversion is a 5CP and we have had great results from this pump as well. It is quiet and in three years not a problem. So far it is the only conversion kit available for Ryko/Wanner.