What's new

Cat Pumps or Arimitsu Pumps

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed alot of CAT pump issues popping up here on the forum and yet haven't found any posts about any bad issues with Arimitsu. I have sent Greg some e-mails about pricing on their pumps. I just don't have $2100-$2200 to throw down on three new pumps, I wish Arimitsu would have some sort of trade-in program.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are a lot less Arimitsu pumps in service than Cat pumps (I would bet 50:1). The consensus with Arimitsu seems to confirm that they are more robust.

If you don't have the money for new pumps, I would think you'd be more interested in finding out what's wrong with your Cats and repair them.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
310 and 5CPs are easy sells on ebay. Virtually all of mine were sold that way. You can easily get $150 for a working one. I had a couple of 5CPs that needed seals. Instead of fixing them, I removed the head and sold it separate from the crankcase. Both halves sold and I got about what I would have gotten for a working pump, but I didn't have to buy a seal kit and fix them. Sold my last Cat 5CPs about 2 weeks ago. I'm running 24 Arimitsu now.

I'm wondering why you need to buy three Arimitsu at once. Are all of yours bad?

BTW, if you have some washed out heads, I know someone who will buy them.

There's a couple of idiots on ebay right now that have run a used 310 to over $300...ya never know.

Last edited:

washme1

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed alot of CAT pump issues popping up here on the forum and yet haven't found any posts about any bad issues with Arimitsu. I have sent Greg some e-mails about pricing on their pumps. I just don't have $2100-$2200 to throw down on three new pumps, I wish Arimitsu would have some sort of trade-in program.
I replaced my Cat 310s with five new Arimitsus six years ago. Have had no problems with them at all. They are much more quiet than Cats and Greg Thoennes will bend over backwards to assist with any issues you have. I run them at about 1350-1400 psi.

Reaction score
We where at a wash that was haveing problems with there pumps, after a few calls to cat with no luck. I called greg and we checked a few things and found the problem, changed all bays and no more problems. When a customer wants to upgrade there pumps or have a pump go bad i will always try to have them change to an arimitsu. Greg always returns calls and is great with tech support.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
car wash systems inc said:
We where at a wash that was haveing problems with there pumps, after a few calls to cat with no luck. I called greg and we checked a few things and found the problem, changed all bays and no more problems.
What does this mean, that you couldn't fix the Cat pumps without technical help from Cat, so your solution was to change all their pumps to Arimitsu, and the entire problem all along was that they were running Cat pumps, and Cat must be bad because they couldn't tell you over the phone how to fix them?

Reaction score
What does this mean, that you couldn't fix the Cat pumps without technical help from Cat, so your solution was to change all their pumps to Arimitsu, and the entire problem all along was that they were running Cat pumps, and Cat must be bad because they couldn't tell you over the phone how to fix them?
Would Cat have given any help if i called with an Arimitsu problem i think not but greg did. We did not change a single pump at this location. Never said Cat was bad but it does say alot about greg that he would jump in and help. Are you saying you never had a problem that you needed to call in for techical help with? And yes i like Arimitsu over Cat.

MEP001

Reaction score
You said you "changed all the bays," that made it sound like you replaced all the Cat pumps with Arimitsu pumps.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The reason I run Arimitsu was similar to the experience of CWSI. I had a General that I couldn't get to perform as the catalog stated. James from Arimitsu told me what I was doing wrong and I had it performing as expected shortly thereafter. I've bought nothing but Arimitsu ever since and have not regretted my move for one second.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
I have to chime in concerning Greg and Arimitsu pumps. Greg has never failed to promptly return my call when I needed something. I have converted all of my pumps except one to the Arimitsu 311's. I even put the Arimitsu on my D&S Odyssey. I wish all the suppliers were as dependable.

Doug P.

Reaction score
I bought a new Mark 7 GT500 in 2003 that had 2 Armitsu pumps on it. They lasted all of 10 months before they had to be replaced with Cat pumps. I don't know if Mark 7 used them in an application they were not designed for or they were just of poor quality. I have had about 40 Cat 5CP's in service for as long as 9 years and have had very good luck with them. I had Cat 623's that lasted 30 years before I replaced them. I also had plenty of the 310's with the washed out heads. I have heard a lot of good things about the Armitsu's and running quiet is a definite plus, but my limited experience with Armitsu was not good.

Doug P.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Arimitsu got a bad rap on that deal. When Mark VII built those machines Cat did not make a pump with the capacity they were looking for so they bought the 709 Arimitsu to use on their new design. They had trouble with water getting in the oil and subsequently failing if the oil wasn't changed. Cat later built a pump that they could use so Mark VII used the water in oil reason to drop Arimitsu. The president of Mark VII himself told me this.

These pump are mounted low on the gantry and pretty much unprotected. They get lots of water on and around them. The Arimitsu definitely was not designed to run in this wet environment, essentially being misted constantly. It was a foregone conclusion that water would end up in the oil. I've talked to Mark VII techs about the Cats and they said that they get water in the oil as well.

In the end, it's a good pump in a bad application.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cat

I have 3 CAT pumps and they are by far the most trouble free equipment in my wash. They just purr along happily. I add oil to the holes in the pump head at regular intervals and they run and run.:)

My only complaint about CAT is they promised an xl sweatshirt w/CAT logo delivered to 31 new athol rd orange ma 01364 and it's been 2 years! still waiting!

Etowah

ToFarGone

Reaction score
I have one Arimitsu at the moment. I had a problem with it right out of the box and with one call to Greg it was made right. It is MUCH quieter than the CAT it replaced. I would say about the same as the Hypro that I have.

I am not converting everything over to them, but I would not be against trying another when the time comes.

SOOO, if you want a quality product (and there are a few on the market) buy your pump of choice. If you want A+++ customer service to go with it...this is your brand.